Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ADSL Speed

• Please log in to reply

patchy_pete

patchy_pete

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi all,

I have recently upgraded my ADSL speed from 1500 to 8000.

I have noticed that most sites that i connect to still download at 1500.

Is there a way that i can optimize my computer to run at 8000??

Peter.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
In all honesty I would call your ISP and inform them becosue on DSL it is a garenteed speed. (within a resonable amount)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I have recently upgraded my ADSL speed from 1500 to 8000.
I have noticed that most sites that i connect to still download at 1500.
Is there a way that i can optimize my computer to run at 8000?

You'll probably find you've upgraded to a package that is capable of up to 8Megs. Getting the full 8Megs may only be possible if you live on top of your local exchange.

patchy_pete

patchy_pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi and thanks.

After a call to my ISP, you are right. Its upto 8mps.

Peter.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

In all honesty I would call your ISP and inform them becosue on DSL it is a garenteed speed. (within a resonable amount)

Hi Tuxmaster. You are wrong on the "guaranteed" bit. It simply cannot be so, there are too many factors involved over which the ISP has no control, and that probably applies especially to DSL connections using lines that could be several decades old instead of relatively new fibre-optic cable. "Up to" is the operative word if you bother to read the terms of service.

Edited by pip22, 05 August 2007 - 09:18 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

Hi Tuxmaster. You are wrong on the "guaranteed" bit. It simply cannot be so, there are too many factors involved over which the ISP has no control, and that probably applies especially to DSL connections using lines that could be several decades old instead of relatively new fibre-optic cable. "Up to" is the operative word if you bother to read the terms of service.

Yes Pip22 you are correct that is why I added the part in () saying within a reasonable amount. DSL VS cable however has more control of the speed because it is not a shared line so it takes out A lot of the variables. That is one of the major selling points of DSL over cable.