Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply

sinnerboy

sinnerboy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just bought a new Seagate Barracuda 500gb hard drive but can't get it to work. When I click on my computer and then removable disc f I get a message telling me to " please insert a drive into disc F ". I followed all the installation instructions with no result. The device is not showing up on device manager under disk drives but in USB Controllers one of the USB mass storage device has a yellow exclamation mark beside it (not sure if that is relevant).
I'm using XP Home with SP2. I'm a computer newbie so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Double-click the device in Device Manager that has the exclamation point., look at the Device status box on the General tab and see if there is an error code such as:

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)"

An exclamation point usually indicates the device is not configured properly.

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Code 10
If the device has a "FailReasonString" value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator places this registry string value there. If there is no "FailReasonString" in the hardware key, the following generic error message is displayed:
This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device.

Solution button: Update Driver

To resolve this error code, make sure the device is connected to the computer correctly. For example, make sure all cables are plugged in fully and that all adapter cards are properly seated. Follow the suggested solution button and update the device driver. It may be possible to remove the device and redetect it using the Add New Hardware wizard.

Saw your post elsewhere.

sinnerboy

sinnerboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Have tried everything, spent all day yesterday searching google and help forums etc to find a way to fix it. Seems to be a fairly common problem but everybody has different methods to cure it and I've tried them all to no avail. I'm using XP Home with SP2 , driver works with another computer so thats not the problem.