Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe errors when booting Win98SE - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Nick052

Nick052

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

I have somehow managed to break my parents PC.

It's quite old (Windows 98SE), so I have just been doing some maintainence tasks like Spyware scans, Defrag etc in order to keep it running as fast as it can. Things were then fine.

However, I ran Disk Cleanup on C: and deleted 2.5MB of stuff (nothing is it!).

When I then rebooted the PC, it asked for my name and organization which I thought was weird. Then it asked for the 16 digit product key for Windows 98. I knew by this point something serious had happened!

I entered the key, and then I breathed a sign of relief when my normal desktop photo came up. This didn't last long though as I got an Explorer.exe error and it doesn't get any further. I now get this every time I try to boot the PC, and also in safe mode!

I have tried running ScanDisk from DOS, but this did not fix it. I tried to run SFC.exe from DOS, but this only works in Windows.

And if I start from DOS, it cannot find my CD drive so I can somehow (wouldnt know how anyway!) use our genuine Windows 98CD to try fix this.

We do not want to have to format the hard drive as its got important stuff on it.

Before taking it to a shop, I decided to ask if anyone on here has any ideas!? Why would running ScanDIsk cause all this to happen??

Cheers in advance.

Edited by Nick052, 05 August 2007 - 11:04 AM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I doubt if ScanDisk caused all this, but the deletion of files after running CCleaner. Do you have or did you make a Win 98SE boot disc? This will allow recognition of the CD drive. See: Quick Repair of Windows 98/SE.

Ron

Nick052

Nick052

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

I managed to fix it this morning by doing a SCANREG /RESTORE to an earlier point.

Cheers,

Nick

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. Glad you got your problem solved. I think I even heard the big sigh of relief from your end. LOL Thanks for using GTG.

Ron