Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Burning causes hard drive crash

• Please log in to reply

andydude00

andydude00

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hp 864n Media Center 2005 SP 1

DO WDC WD1600JB-00DUA0 LBA 149GB Ultra DMA 5 : Hard Drive

About 1 year ago my harddrive crashed, upon trying to boot it would just have a black screen with a moving cursor. I spoke with HP and they send me quick restore cd's and I was able to run my computer fine since then. That time when my computer crashed I was using a burning program called dvd-cloner. I was able to use it a few times, and then one day when I left the dvd burning, a couple of hours passed and I had the black screen with the flashing cursor. I was able to let it sit for about 30 min. and it loaded. My computer was working again but it no longer recognized my dvd drive. When media was inserted in the drive i would have to manually open it, and it would work. A couple of weeks later my computer just would not boot. So I used the quick restore cds that I was given, and worked with my computer again. I also bought a new dvd burner. Everything ran perfect at the time. Fast forward to now, I stupidly decided to purchase the new version of dvd-cloner and I decided to let this program do the burning. Once I restarted I noticed that the harddrive made a noise (like a low volume whistle), and it took longer to boot into the windows loading screen. Funny thing is that I have avoided letting other programs except dvd record now burn things, and the problem only occured when i let dvd-cloner do the burning. Then I noticed that when i erased something it would not erase. Also the computer had a hard time opening a word file (small file), and I couldn't even delete it. When I click the file after awhile it says My documents is not responding.

Is there a way I can prevent this software from completely crashing my harddrive? Can I fix the damage that has already been done?

Upon some research I noticed that someone had a similar problem, and actually has the same hd as me:

http://icrontic.com/...ead.php?t=21186

NOOB:
dvd drive = Hard drive crash?!?
I'm really hoping someone can help me with this. This morning I was copying data from a dvd to my D drive (not the bootable drive) and my computer shut down and wouldn't restart. This is the third time this has happend, exact same senerio. Although it doesn't happen everytime. The first time it said it couldn't find the OS, and the other times it just would just sit there and never load It'll let me reinstall XP but I really need to find the cause and fix it. I have the original HD (bootdrive) and DVD Drive and I added a DVD burner and another HD. When I installed the second harddrive (western Digital 120gb) it came with a special card (highspeed?)I had to install in order to install the drive. And now I believe the dvd drive(that I was using) and the WD HD are running off that card. This setup worked for a year so I'm not sure if that's the problem or how that could then lead to wiping out my C drive which isn't in that mix at all. Any help would be great...as I don't really know where to start.

TECH SUPPORT:
You may just need to clean the filesystem where you boot from.

I can show you how to do that without reinstalling and crap. That controller (promise tx2) has had a ton of probs with corrupted filesystems. You need to check their website for bios and driver updates which soothe it a GREAt DEAL. You need to do BOTH not just the drivers !

It looks fromyour post as if both hard drives are on the same cable on the promise. Thats bad.

Move the boot drive with teh OS back to the MB headers. The best setup with have all four drives as master on their own cable. You have enough connectors. Adn that controller will burn cd's fine but corrupts HD's at times. Just moving them and making sure the bios boot order is correct after cleaning them may forever kill your problem even without the bios/driver upgrade. You just need to move the hard disks off and if you can get a couple more cables and lets put them on their own cables. They really like that. (grin)

But lets for sure get the HD's off that controller asap. It works fine for some OS's but with win2k/win xp they came out with some very flawed bios/driver combos's that eat filesystems.

This isnt hard and I'm glad to help.

If you don't have another PC to post on then PM or email me and I'll give you my phone number to call and I'll walk you through it on the phone if you want. We can make it work just by switching some cables but having two more and going through some extra steps is worth the effort.

Please help me, thanks in advance.

Advertisements