Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ways to free space on my computer?

• Please log in to reply

RandomUserName

RandomUserName

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello,

I have Windows XP running on my computer and I'm looking for a way to effectively clear space on my C:\ drive. I use my C:\, D:\, and E:\ drive. My C:\ drive's maximum capacity is 11.1GB, my D:\ 4.42GB, and my E:\ 34.9GB. I use my E:\ drive as the root of my My Documents folder, I should probably mention.

My C:\ drive usually only has 2GB space free at a time. I spend hours looking for what exactly eating up 9GB of space. Sure, I know the harddrive's system files and files it needs to run need some space, but 9GB?! I'd like at LEAST half of the harddrive free. More free space, faster things run, right? Space isn't an issue, becuase of my reliable E:\ drive; I have at least 20GB currently free on it. I don't wanna move any files anywhere where they're not supposed to be and I'm afraid of deleting certain hidden files, as I'm not sure whether that'd screw up my computer.

Any help, please?

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I would go to Jam Software and download the Tree Size program. Run that and that will graphically show you were the space is coming from. Post some of your biggest users and we will see what can be deleted.

RandomUserName

RandomUserName

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I would go to Jam Software and download the Tree Size program. Run that and that will graphically show you were the space is coming from. Post some of your biggest users and we will see what can be deleted.

Wow! I didn't know a program like that existed! Haha, how helpful! Okay, okay I installed it. >>
-is completely amazed by this program- Whoa, this is amazing.
Okay, now that I've had my n00b moment .. ><

Alright ... so, it says 9GB [8,978] next to C:\ when I set it to the GB thing. Isn't it supposed to say 11 or something? Maybe it hasn't finished loading .. nope it's done. Okayy, so that's good enough.

The largest thing taking up space in C is ...

SDIHFSKDCFDSVJDFLK!
This is frustrating because I'm not sure which to post.
They break down, a lot, so I guess I'll start with the biggest.

Program Files [3 GB]
Documents and Settings [3 GB]
Windows [2 GB]

Okay, that's basically everything. It says C:\ only has 9 GB of space, but I guess that's 'coz my computer needs to take out the other 2 for backup stuff? I hope, anyway ..

Getting more specific ...

Common Files [831 MB] (Biggest folder: Adobe [466 MB])
Temporary Internet Files [410 MB] (I can delete these, right!?)
Local Settings [472 MB] (Biggest folder: Temp [267MB])

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
just another idea but what slows the computer is often not what is on the harddrive but what is actively running, so what about checking both startups in msconfig and processes in task manager.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Yea I came across it, its pretty sweet. I use it all the time, quick and easy to give an overview of what the heck is going on and its legally free!

Here is what I would do to clean up files safely.
Go to CCleaner and install the latest version.
Run the application and choose all the checkboxes on the left side.
Click Run Cleaner
Say Yes to delete the files.

That should clean up most temp files.

Also I go into:
C:\WINDOWS
I delete all the folders that start with $ EXCEPT $hf_mig$

After that use TreeSize again and take a screen shot, expand the big folders and take a screen shot and post it back.

Thanks

RandomUserName

RandomUserName

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Yea I came across it, its pretty sweet. I use it all the time, quick and easy to give an overview of what the heck is going on and its legally free!

Here is what I would do to clean up files safely.
Go to CCleaner and install the latest version.
Run the application and choose all the checkboxes on the left side.
Click Run Cleaner
Say Yes to delete the files.

That should clean up most temp files.

Also I go into:
C:\WINDOWS
I delete all the folders that start with $ EXCEPT $hf_mig$

After that use TreeSize again and take a screen shot, expand the big folders and take a screen shot and post it back.

Thanks

Wow, let me just say that I've been through countless "Cleaner" programs, and this is BY FAR the most effecient. More than 730MB got erased! NOTHING has EVER worked so well!!!!

Alright, I just deleted all folders starting with $ in Windows folder, except the one you saidd..

I now have 2.65 GB free..which isn't as much as I would have liked?

(In TreeSize It says 8GB at the top this time and before it said 9 GB. Confusing. ><)

Here are the screenshots:

http://i12.tinypic.com/4zla3ip.jpg
http://i15.tinypic.com/6cyasyp.jpg
http://i18.tinypic.com/4q3ui6r.jpg

And here's a question; about some of my bigger files/folders that are obviously eating up space; is there any way I can move them to my E:\ drive which at the moment has definitely more than enough space, but won't mess up the program/file/folder itself?

just another idea but what slows the computer is often not what is on the harddrive but what is actively running, so what about checking both startups in msconfig and processes in task manager.

Yes, that's what I figured as well. I'm seeing my startups in msconfig right now and I don't know which ones to keep or not; I'm aware what most of the programs are, but not entirely. I check task manager regularly and usually close out of a program if it eats up space. Problem is, I often run many processes at the same time such as MSN Messenger, Windows Media Player, Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended, Internet Explorer, etc. and I'm not interested in buying more RAM at the time. But I do often run out of virtual memory, not sure if that has anything to do with this, though. o.O

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Your Kodak folder could probably be moved to E. If your camera software places them there automatically you will probably have to change that.

As for Windows and Program Files you are the same size as mine, which Im not comfortable deleting anything else. Same with Common Files I usually dont touch anything there.

Thats really all I delete manually. The other thing is to go to Add/Remove Programs and remove unused applications.

Also there is a Issues button on the left side of CCleaner. I would use that, Scan for Issues, Fix Issues, yes to backup the registry and fix those issues. You will probably have to repeat that a few times until the scan comes up clean.

Then your startup tab in msconfig, If you have questions, post the lines here and we will let you know if they are safe.

(In TreeSize It says 8GB at the top this time and before it said 9 GB. Confusing. ><)

This says how much space is being used, not total hard drive space. So it decreases as you delete files.

Edited by jaxisland, 06 August 2007 - 12:00 PM.

RandomUserName

RandomUserName

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Your Kodak folder could probably be moved to E. If your camera software places them there automatically you will probably have to change that.

As for Windows and Program Files you are the same size as mine, which Im not comfortable deleting anything else. Same with Common Files I usually dont touch anything there.

Thats really all I delete manually. The other thing is to go to Add/Remove Programs and remove unused applications.

Also there is a Issues button on the left side of CCleaner. I would use that, Scan for Issues, Fix Issues, yes to backup the registry and fix those issues. You will probably have to repeat that a few times until the scan comes up clean.

Then your startup tab in msconfig, If you have questions, post the lines here and we will let you know if they are safe.

This says how much space is being used, not total hard drive space. So it decreases as you delete files.

Thanks so much for all of your help, it's really really ...helpful (for lack of a better word. >>)

I have one more question, though; what happens when I try and delete programs from add/remove programs, and it will not uninstall? Such as, Adobe Photoshop 7.0. I got the new one, so I've no more use of the old, and it will not let me uninstall. It's using up a lot of space and there's an error message whenever I try and uninstall it.

As for the startup configuration, there's only a few I'm wondering about:

ACMonitor_X84-X85
AcBtnMgr_X84-X85

I know that's for my printer/scanner, however, if I disable those from starting up, will that make it so that my computer won't recognize it?

And

SsAAD.exe is for SonicStage, a program I use to put music on my mp3 player.
If i simply disable this process, will that disable the program in any harmful way, or will it simple prevent the program from recognizing that it's plugged in, right away?
Because when I first plug it in, the program recognizes it and opens.
But if I disable that from starting along with startup, will that prevent my computer from recognizing the player all together?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks so much for your help!

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
First, your welcome, I am glad I can help.

To uninstall the program I would try it again in Add/Remove Programs then when it fails, go into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer and check the Application and System logs to see if there are any entries relating to the uninstall.

If that fails, open CCleaner (again) go to Tools and try to run the uninstall from there.

If those fail, try reinstalling then uninstalling again.

If you disable those two printer startup items you will still be able to print fine. It will still recognize the printer.

Same with the Sonic, you may have to open the application manually once plugged in but your computer will still recognize the device.

Keep the questions coming!

RandomUserName

RandomUserName

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

First, your welcome, I am glad I can help.

To uninstall the program I would try it again in Add/Remove Programs then when it fails, go into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer and check the Application and System logs to see if there are any entries relating to the uninstall.

If that fails, open CCleaner (again) go to Tools and try to run the uninstall from there.

If those fail, try reinstalling then uninstalling again.

If you disable those two printer startup items you will still be able to print fine. It will still recognize the printer.

Same with the Sonic, you may have to open the application manually once plugged in but your computer will still recognize the device.

Keep the questions coming!

I've done everything you suggested AND re-installed photoshop and it's not working! Here's a screenshot of the error message I recieve: http://i13.tinypic.com/4pn54pw.jpg

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Can you do a search for Uninst.inu and delete it. Also make sure it is removed out of the recycle bin. Do a reinstall then reboot. Then try the uninstall.

RandomUserName

RandomUserName

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Can you do a search for Uninst.inu and delete it. Also make sure it is removed out of the recycle bin. Do a reinstall then reboot. Then try the uninstall.

YES! That worked!! Thanks again and I think I have everything I need! ^_^

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Glad to hear, Im happy I could help :whistling: