Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Post-reformat Problems

• Please log in to reply

Sinoito

Sinoito

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I recently reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP on my Dell Inspiron 6000 because I received a boot error message that said "No boot sector on hard-disk drive." However, I no longer have any drivers and the internal wireless card does not work. I went to the Dell support website and tried to download some drivers, but the problem persists. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Sinoito...

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware tab", then the "Device Manager" button.

In Device Manager, what devices are shown with a yellow ! or ? icon next to them?

wannabe1

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you use your Dell service tag, you can go to the Dell site and get the appropriate drivers for your comp. It might be tricky and you may have to use another computer and burn them to floppy or CD tho.

Sinoito

Sinoito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
123runner, I tried exactly what you suggested. I used my desktop to burn a CD of the drivers but my laptop's internet still does not work.

wannabe1, these are the devices with a yellow question mark and exclamation mark:
Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
Network Controller
PCI Device
PCI Modem
Video Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
That might cause a few problems :whistling: Do you have your motherboard's CD? It usually provides drivers for some of those.

Sinoito

Sinoito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I don't think I have the motherboard's CD. All I can find is a piece of paper from Dell shaped like a CD that says "Your computer does not require an operating system CD or drivers CDs."

Kelly Wright

Kelly Wright

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
That looks somewhat strange... Usually XP installs pretty many of drivers itself, especially XP SP2 (integrated) which is loaded with lots of drivers...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Those are the chipset drivers for the most part. Go to the Dell website and download the chipset drivers for your machine and install them...that should clear most of them.