Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck in Safe Mode with a blank screen

• Please log in to reply

LNS5000

LNS5000

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I rebooted my computer to safe mode using msconfig. The computer reboots but the screen is blank. I've tried restarting with the restart button several times but nothing happens. So now I am stuck in Safe Mode with a blank screen. Is there any way I can get back to Normal mode?

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
what type of computer are we dealing with, for example if it is a laptop with a screen problem, then attach an external screen and press the second funcion button with F7(changes with model so this is just a rough idea anyway it is the botton in blue with lcd/vga) which should then give the screen in the right resolution on the external screen, also what happens when you try the safemode with vga option is safemode, but are we talking about the screen resolution here I wonder, a bit more detail please.

LNS5000

LNS5000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

what type of computer are we dealing with, for example if it is a laptop with a screen problem, then attach an external screen and press the second funcion button with F7(changes with model so this is just a rough idea anyway it is the botton in blue with lcd/vga) which should then give the screen in the right resolution on the external screen, also what happens when you try the safemode with vga option is safemode, but are we talking about the screen resolution here I wonder, a bit more detail please.

It's just a standard desktop computer but it's not the screen resolution. It's a new monitor that works fine in Normal mode.

I have been having problems with malware and spyware and was trying to clean it out. I tried rebooting to safe mode using F8 but it didn't work. I would get a blank screen like that too but was able to hit the restart button and return to normal.

So then I used msconfig to reboot to safe and again get the blank screen. So since I can't see anything, I can't choose any options to get back to normal. And using the restart button doesn't get me anywhere. So I'm stuck.

I was wondering if there is any button I can hit upon restart that would get me out of this or do I have to take it in to get it fixed?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
sorry, no magic button here and sorry about my idea being wrong then, I was hoping that is was the resolution, now probably another wrong idea but can you repair the system with a XP cd, also this is just another way to get into safe mode but: turn on, let load a bit, pull out the mains plug from the back, connect plug again and turn on again, the startled computer should jump into safemode options, oh and if you do get into safemode options but not into safemode itself from there choose "with command prompt" and go for a restore to date prior to problem.

just in case there is no simple solution here, how well backed up are you?

LNS5000

LNS5000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

sorry, no magic button here and sorry about my idea being wrong then, I was hoping that is was the resolution, now probably another wrong idea but can you repair the system with a XP cd, also this is just another way to get into safe mode but: turn on, let load a bit, pull out the mains plug from the back, connect plug again and turn on again, the startled computer should jump into safemode options, oh and if you do get into safemode options but not into safemode itself from there choose "with command prompt" and go for a restore to date prior to problem.

just in case there is no simple solution here, how well backed up are you?

No apologies necessary! :whistling: Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

It actually ended up being a simple problem. The cable wasn't supporting the monitor in safe mode.

Thanks again for your help!

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks for the feedback