Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Online Virus Checking

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have been using Virus Total to scan downloaded executable files. Im confident whats in house is safe, so its mainly stuff I download that I run through their site.

I have yet to have a positive result, but I was wondering what others used.

Does anyone use this site, another site, or something else?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
There are two that they recommend to us in GeekU. One you have posted, the other is this:

Jotti File Scan

Edited by Titan8990, 07 August 2007 - 02:15 PM.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I will try it out.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
We use both Jotti and VirusTotal in GeekU, but there are also the following that are very good. I recommend Jotti and Virustotal over the following two since they both use multiple engines from various vendors.

Kaspersky Virus File Scanner
http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus

Or you could use Threat Expert by PC Tools. I use this tool a lot, as it gives you a VERY detailed explanation of the file in question. It scans the file with multiple AV's, but also whether the sample tries to delete any of your files or directories, change the hosts file, or create Registry keys
http://www.pctools.com/threat-expert/