Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trouble with laptop key board please help

• Please log in to reply

sara_mommyof3

sara_mommyof3

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
HI Yesterday my son spilled a little milk on the top of my open lap top. It turned off. I took the battery out and dryed it all of. The computer will turn on. When I try to type some of the letters will type 3 things by one push. Example if i pish the backspace button the \ will type or if i push i it will come on out like this il8 ir 8il Can this problem be fixed..

Thanks for you help

Sara

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hi Sara Mommyof3

Portable keyboard generly on most systems are easly replaced by a end user.

What is the make and model of the computer you have?

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Laptop keyboards are so sensitive.
But a plus, they are fairly easy to replace.
You can either use an external keyboard... which is annoying to have to carry that as well as your laptop.
Or Opition number 2 is much easier, go to the website for the brand, find the service manual, not the user manual. Inside there you will find detailed instructions for takeing your laptop apart peice by peice. It will also have the part number you need to replace it. Most of the laptops I have seen its about 5-6 screws to get the keyboard out and a simple ribbon to unplug and then do the steps backwards to get the new one in.

All else fails you can take it to the computer shop and pay them about 75$-100$ plus parts to have them do it... but thats only if you dont think you can do it or dont want to do it.

Thats my 2 cents no one ask for~!

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
If you have a Dell laptop you are in luck, most Dell keyboards I have replace only cost around $10 to $20 plus tax and shipping. Most are fairly easy to replace, but there are some that are a little tricky to disconnect.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
yes, my HP broke when I tried to get it out.... so be carefull and take your time and you will be ok :whistling:

sara_mommyof3

sara_mommyof3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi

Thanks for the info on the keyboard but now I have another problem. My wireless Internet key keeps coming on and off. I can't turn it in if doesn't come on automatically I have to restart my computer. Any suggestions??

Thanks

Sara

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
some of that milk probably leaked through onto your wireless card, and caused a short in it. that is easily replaced as well as the keyboard. i would need to know what kind of laptop it is to be able to help you/walk you through it though.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
If you have the tech skills, this is all easy to fix. Its all just a matter of a few screws and plugs.

It does however require that you are pay very close attention to detail. If not you can mess things up worse.

Like he said whats you brand and model number?

sara_mommyof3

sara_mommyof3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi Thanks for you quick response!!! My computer is HP special edition Hp Pavillion Dv 1000. I'm going to look online to find the key board. Is there anything else i need to order? Thanks again for you help!!!!!!!!!!

Sara

sara_mommyof3

sara_mommyof3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
my model # is dv1656us

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
OK here is the link to your service manual.

http://h10032.www1.h...l/c00636251.pdf

It is very long, so dont print it unless you have to. just use another computer to open it up and look at it as you go.

You most likely will need a keyboard, and possiably a wifi card.

Your Keyboard part number is 367778-031

There are several wifi cards you can put in, I reccommend going with the basic standard one. It should be the most common.

Your WiFi Part number is 373047-001

Those are the parts that you should order, if you follow the manual exactally as it tells you. You will be perfactally fine. Just remember before you start this that static discharge is a computers worst enemy.... so ground yourself often to prevent this :whistling:

sara_mommyof3

sara_mommyof3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi Thanks for all your help everyone. I got my parts in the mail but i can't figure out how to do this stuff. i think i'm going to have to take it to a computer place. Thx again for all the advice. Since my lap top broke i set up my desk top that i haven't used in yrs due to an old roomate who messed it up with viruses lot's of them. This site is awsome because i'm working with a great guy who is getting rid of all those virus. I love this place!!!

Thx
sara