Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.key file

• Please log in to reply

pavrome

pavrome

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just loaded a legal copy of xp pro, completed all windows updates, loaded some a/v codecs, antivirus, etc. My problem is a .key file I need for an application I'm running. My other computer (xp pro) recognizes it as a registration entry, opened with the registry editor. The computer in question (xp pro) recognizes it as a key file and does not know what to open it with. If I have windows search the internet for a program to open it with it does not find anything (no reccomendations). If I force it to open with notepad, it will, but then it sees it as a text file. I tried forcing it to open with regedit, but it still recognizes it as a key file and not a registration entry. I've put this key on a externel hard drive and looked at it with several other computers. Some recognize it, some don't. I can't figure out what else I need to load to get this file recognized properly as a registration entry. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Try renaming the file using the .reg extension.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....normally (can't speak for every instance)...when a progam vendor sends out the registration key in a file like that...there's a section in the program itself (that the key belongs to) where you tell it to look to that file to import the registration info...usually in the help menu or something like that