Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound, dell 4600

• Please log in to reply

Kelly Wright

Kelly Wright

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Nice. Audio drivers seem to be ok.
Now, restart, go to BIOS/Advanced and set onboard audio to OFF or Disabled (depending on BIOS options).
Log into Windows and see if anything changes. With little chance, this may help.
BTW, when you play music with Windows Media Player, does it report any errors, crash, or everything is OK except that there's no sound from speakers?
My next steps would be:
1. Right-click on Windows system disk (most probably it would be C:\) and click on Disk Cleanup... follow the procedure. Remove all files you don't need, especially temp.
2. Install Intel drivers. Reboot.
3. While restarting, enter BIOS and set onboard Audio to ON/Enabled.
3. Install DirectX 9c. Reboot.

Advertisements

Dannn

Dannn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I can't seem to find onboard audio anywhere in bios, only onboard video. Maybe that's the problem?
When I play music with Windows Media Player, everything is OK except that there's no sound from speakers.

Edited by Dannn, 10 August 2007 - 06:25 AM.

Kelly Wright

Kelly Wright

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Did you look everywhere in BIOS? There's usually a tab like "Advanced" where onboard stuff (video, USB, etc) is configured.

Dannn

Dannn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
There's no advanced tab. I only found sound in 'Integrated devices (legacy select options)' and sound is on. I found onboard video buffer but on onboard audio in 'Integrated devices (legacy select options)' .

Kelly Wright

Kelly Wright

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok, Sound option is exactly what is needed.
Try with it OFF and see if anything changes in playback. If not, set it back to ON and install Intel drivers, reboot, then install DirectX.

Dannn

Dannn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Ok, Sound option is exactly what is needed.
Try with it OFF and see if anything changes in playback. If not, set it back to ON and install Intel drivers, reboot, then install DirectX.

When i swith sound off, on sound playback, it reads 'no playback devices'