Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP won't load

• Please log in to reply

franklinagf

franklinagf

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Hey!

I upgraded my computer from Windows ME to XP a few months ago. Everything ran smoothly and I have no clue what caused my computer to crash (no new devices, installed software, etc.)

After restarting the computer, it ran checkdisk (showed some files or something were truncated) then continued to loading. It only goes to the initial XP screen and then restarts. It now runs checkdisk (doesn't show any files truncated now) tries to load XP and restarts; just a continuous loop.

I have tried to boot using CD to get into recovery but always get an error message. I've even tried booting with a ME CD with no luck. When booting with ME CD, it starts with Dr-DOS and ends up saying No FAT32 Volumes Found, exiting then a couple more line and says No NTFS Volumes Found, exiting.

I really just want to get some important files off that computer...could care less if I get it back working correctly since I have already had to purchase a new one but it would be nice!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If you dont care about recovering the system and just want files, you can pull the hard drive and put it as a slave in a second computer, then copy off what you want.

franklinagf

franklinagf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
But if it's a virus or something will that affect the computer I connect the hard drive to as the slave?

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
franklinagf
If it is yes it may. Does the system that is having problems even come up fully in any mode?

franklinagf

franklinagf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
No, it won't load to either OS whether I use a bootable disc or not. The only thing I can get to work is that Dr-DOS from the ME disc and I'm not very familiar with DOS!

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What is the make and model of your hard drive?

franklinagf

franklinagf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
WD Protege WD200EB

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Go Ahead and download Wester Digitals Diagnostics [http://support.wdc.c...=5&swid=53]Here[/url] We are looking for the data lifeguard diagnostic.

Go ahead and burn it to a cd and run the diagnostic report back with the results.

franklinagf

franklinagf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Data Lifeguard Diagnostics 5.04 Results

Quick Test: Test Completed without errors
Error/Status Code: 0000
Extended Test: No Errors Found
Error/Status Code: 0000

franklinagf

franklinagf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
If this helps any here are the errors I get when trying to boot from the XP disc:

When you press ENTER to setup XP: STOP: 0X00000050(0XCDCDCDD5, 0X00000000, 0X808C6801, 0X00000000)

When you press R to go to Recovery: STOP: 0X0000000A(0X00440008, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X8081C63C)

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
franklinagf,

Try the log test on the hard drive.

Also Download Memtet86 in my signature burn it to a cd and run it overnight.

Report back results.

franklinagf

franklinagf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Well, the good news is...I got XP to finally load. The bad, I somehow formatted the hard drive in the process, so I really defeated my purpose!!! All of my files I was trying to get to are gone. But thanks for your help again!

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What did you do to land up getting XP to load.

franklinagf

franklinagf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I realized that I had downloaded Data Lifeguard Diagnostic version 5.04 and that there was a newer version on the website you directed me to. So, I went back and downloaded the newer version and ran it. I obviously clicked something wrong in that program because when it finished it said my hard drive had been formatted! So I stuck the XP disc in again and it installed perfectly!

Now I just have to figure out how to get another copy of all my daughter's mechanical licenses for the songs on her CD that I've already paid for so I don't get sued!!! Those are the only files I was really worried about but I should be able to get another copy...just a lot of work involved with getting them!

Thanks again for your help and advice! At least we got it back working anyways! Now each of my children will have their own computer so that will be one less thing they are arguing over! I may give them this new computer with Vista and take back my XP now though!!! :whistling:

Edited by franklinagf, 08 August 2007 - 08:03 PM.