Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless network problem with host

• Please log in to reply

traolach

traolach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Appreciate the interest Facedown! Anyone can connect - there's no encryption on the router

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Alright, before I go much further, I want to verify that you can see and share files between both computers using My Network Places, right?

It sounds like you want to send files directly from computer to computer. That would be the alternative to what you are working with right now, which is uploading files to My Network places, and then having to download the files onto the downstairs computer. You just want to transmit files from one hard disk to the other, correct?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Pardon the interruption. We have an excellent guide on file and printer sharing here.

Go through the check list, but I'm guessing this is your problem:

9. You should now be back at the “Local Area Connection Properties” window.
..........9A. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click the "Properties" button.
..........9B. Click the General tab, and then click Advanced.
..........9C. Click the WINS tab.
..........9D. Under NetBIOS setting, click "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP", and then click OK two times.
..........9E. Click Close to close the Local Area Connection Properties dialog box.