Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chat over lan

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Is there any way of communicating over a network from one computer to any other which is on the network?

Advertisements

zywex

zywex

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
as far as any windows installed method, all i know of is the windows messanger (very much like MSN messanger); log in on both computers with it. im sure theres other ways though

i personally have it disabled on my machines due to security paranoia (heh); but whatever floats your boat :tazz:

dinkaragg

dinkaragg

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
u can send messg thru command prompt,
at command prompt
enter command "net send <computer name or Ip address> < message>
e.g net send 10.1.2.3 hello friend!!
thats all,
bye

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Is there any reason why this shouldn't work on a 98SE comp cause when i tried sending a message from the 98SE comp to the xp comp i got the error message:
The command SEND is unknown. For a list of valid commands, type NET HELP at the command prompt.
For help type NET /? at the command prompt.

Is there any reason for this?
Also, then when i tried sending a message from the xp comp to the 98SE comp i got the follwing error message:
An error occurred while sending a message to 192.168.101.3.

The message alias could not be found on the network.
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2273.

Any reason for this either?
Both the computers are on the same workgroup and conected to the network so i dunno why its not working. Help is greatly appreciated.

dinkaragg

dinkaragg

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Is it that u have Win Xp SP2 ????????
If yes, the solution lies below, else reply back again

This problem occurs when one of the following conditions is true:
• The source computer is running Microsoft Windows XP SP2.
• The destination computer is running Microsoft Windows XP SP2.

As a result, the destination computer does not receive the messages that are sent by the NET SEND command.

The NET SEND command uses the Messenger service to send messages on the network. This problem occurs because the Messenger service is disabled. By default, the Messenger service is disabled on computers that are running Microsoft Windows XP SP2.

To work around this problem, change the Startup type of the Messenger service to Automatic, and then start the Messenger service. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. In the left pane, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
3. In the Computer Management window, expand Services and Applications in the left pane, and then click Services.
4. In the right pane, double-click Messenger.
5. In the Messenger Properties (Local Computer) dialog box, click the General tab.
6. On the General tab, select Automatic from the Startup type list, and then click Apply.
7. Under Service status, click Start, and then click OK.

Caution Do not enable the Messenger service if your computer is connected to the Internet.

do reply back about the status..............

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
OK but what about the 98se comp?? And i would like to know what exactly is the danger of switchin it on while on the internet cause all the comps actually connect to the internet through lan so what should i do??enable or not??

dinkaragg

dinkaragg

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
its been long since worked on Win 98 but anyway i can help as far as i can.........................

Go to your Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Setup -> Accessories
2. Scroll down to the bottom of the list.
select Winpopup, and click Okay a couple of times.

this will enable winpopup service in Win98 PCs

Regd the Caution Note i mentioned its just for security reason which i said because it is to be said for safety/security bla bla !!!!!because windows OS advises such silly things ................otherwise theres hardly any issue.....u go on please

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
When i tried to start the messenger service i got an error message:
[COLOR=red]Windows could not start the Messenger on the Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 2270.

For 98 comp, well winpopup wasnt there under accessories but i manage to find it in system tools, neway thanks but that was already enabled.

Now im clueless about what to do, help please.

Thanks

dinkaragg

dinkaragg

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
The Messenger service terminated with service-specific error 2270::::: This behavior can occur if the computer's name is not unique on the network. In practice, it can also occur if your computer name, user name, and domain/workgroup name are not all set to unique (different) values.

dinkaragg

dinkaragg

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
earlier in ur question u mentioned abt error received like message alias could not be found-----------------------------
Question/Problem: WinPopup Actions are failing and the Action Test Details dialog reports "The message alias could not be found on the network".

Solution: This error can occur when the Messenger Service is not running on either the WhatsUp Professional machine or the target machine. It needs to be running on both, and can be turned on in the Service Control Manager. Set the Startup type to Automatic or you will have the same problem again as soon as you reboot.

Once you are sure the Messenger Service is running, try to send a test message to your own username or computername. Then try the target computer again.

If you are running Windows XP SP2, then you will also have to disable the Windows Firewall or add the Messenger Service as an "Exception".

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
How to turn off the Windows Firewall
This applies to users who have Windows XP Service Pack 2 only.
1. Click on Start and then Control Panel.

2. You will have one of two control panels. Click on the Security Center icon.
3. Click on the Windows Firewall icon beneath the status updates.
4. Click Off (not recommended) and then click OK.
* NOTE: To turn it back on at a later date, go through these same steps except click On (recommended). When turning the Firewall back on, you can stop at this step, there is no need to continue.
5. After turning off the Windows Firewall, you will get the following error. This error will continue to pop up in the system tray until you tell Windows that you realize the Firewall is turned off. To do this, continue to Step 6.
6. Click on the balloon, or on the red shield in the system tray, and you will get the screen below. Click on the Recommendations... button.
7. Place a check in the "I have a firewall solution that I'll monitor myself" box. This will stop Windows from popping up alerts that you are at risk. Click OK.
8. After you click OK, you will get the following screen. This screen is saying that Windows will not monitor your firewall settings. Just close the window, and you are done.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Adding the Messenger Service as an "Exception"
To manually add Windows Messenger to the Windows Firewall exception list, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type Firewall.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. On the Exceptions tab, click to select the Windows Messenger check box in Programs and Services.
3. Click OK.

Timbo

Timbo

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
OKAY OKAY, enough with this junk

NET SEND * HELLO

that sends it to all computers on the netowrk. Now this is only avaliable on WINDOWS XP and ME, older computers dont have it.
Set your self as an Administrator, then and i quote from before:

1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. In the left pane, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
3. In the Computer Management window, expand Services and Applications in the left pane, and then click Services.
4. In the right pane, double-click Messenger.
5. In the Messenger Properties (Local Computer) dialog box, click the General tab.
6. On the General tab, select Automatic from the Startup type list, and then click Apply.
7. Under Service status, click Start, and then click OK.

there you go. Now if that doesnt work get this program, it works from 98+ onwards..

LanTalk XP

do a google, its easy to find. its an alternative for msn, pretty cool. plus you have to disable that messenger thing i just said to use it. its a full color display and doesnt run in Dos.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Ok neway when i tried sending a message to myself in xp it sent and i received it also and i guess that explains why wasn't working when i was trying with 98se. Neway thanks for the help all of you'll. Oh btw can the "net send" used to chat over the internet?

Timbo

Timbo

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
i dont think you can. Unless you and them have 'remote access' turned on, then you will need to do Net Send x.x.x.x and put in there IP address, ive never tried it.

I think thats why they did Net Meeting, and Whiteboard so you could chat over the net. Net Send as i know it just goes over the network. Its really fun to mess around with at school. Plus with 500 pc's everye gets it, Headmaster, all the teachers.

A quick way for a prank over a large network is to open up a notepad file and type:

Net Send *You suck
Net Send *You suck
Net Send *You suck
Net Send *You suck

Save it as hello.bat
then open up the .Bat file, it will summon how many Net Send's you put in, a couple of my mates put in 500 or so. Wasnt pretty. So now the [bleep] school has blocked saving or opening in.bat extensions, or opening up command prompt :tazz: