Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

User Account help Please!

• Please log in to reply

lealea4435

lealea4435

• Pip
  • 4 posts
HI

I have a problem, My annoying little brother is taking IT in university and thinks it is highly hysterical to log onto my PC when I am at work and create a new account for himself and make that account the Administrator leaving me with a limited account. I have no clue how he is doing this as my PC is so called password protected and I frequently change it to almost impossible cobination I know he would not be able to figure out.

OK so here's my question for anyone listening that could help a very annoyed big sister!!!

How is he logging into my account and how can I stop him and how can I get back my Administrator settings

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can someone help me out before I either tear out my last strands of hair or stat pulling out his!

Any help or advise will cheer me up grately and being able to stop my bro will make my year and annoy him right back!

LeaLea :blink: :whistling:

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Contrary to popular belief, if you are using XP, it is better to leave the default Admin password blank.

Here's an exerpt from Ed Bott's blog:

Believe it or not, the blank password offers considerably more protection. Because of security enhancements introduced in Windows XP, accounts with a blank password can be used only to log on interactively at the computer by using either the Welcome screen or the Log On To Windows dialog box. You can’t log on to a non-password-protected account over the network using a Remote Desktop connection. Nor can you use the Run As feature to run in the context of an account with a blank password. An attacker who wants to break into your computer won’t be able to get administrative access over the network.

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=910

lealea4435

lealea4435

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi thanks for your reply but I hate to be a pain, I havent a clue what your message means, although I feel I am able to muster my way around a PC I havent a clue how to interpret techie/IT language into my dumbed down own, please is there anyway (in my simpleton terms) I can get my administrator rights back and get rid of him changing it all the time?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Kniht's quote from Ed Bott is in reference to someone logging into your machine remotely. In that case, a blank password box is more secure. I have the feeling that your brother has physical access to your machine. Correct?

I suspect that he is not actually logging into your account, especially since you say that you have been using a secure password. (This must be something that he cannot guess. So~ no birthdays or pet names, etc. A really secure password is something like: "Four Hundred +22 is almost 425" or "3.14159 isn't as easy as pie.")

I think that he is booting your machine into Safe Mode and logging into the machine's ADMINISTRATOR account. From there he would be able to make the changes you describe.

To take total control, you must also password protect the ADMINISTRATOR account.

Boot to Safe Mode. As your computer's very first screen is loading, begin pressing F8 about twice a second until you arrive at a black screen with white writing. One of the lines of text will be highlighted. Use the arrow keys of the keyboard to move the highlighting to Safe Mode. Then press the Enter key of the keyboard.

If this is your first time in Safe Mode, it may seem scary. Lots of white writing on a black screen, and when things do load it all seems goofy looking. Perfectly normal.

Log on as ADMINISTRATOR. If no password has been set, simply click the ADMINISTRATOR icon and press Enter.
If a password has been set, type it in.
If you do not see an ADMINISTRATOR icon, type in Administrator for user name.

Once logged into Safe Mode as ADMINISTRATOR, go to User Accounts in the Control Panel and set a password for the ADMINISTRATOR account just as you would from your own account. While you are at it, you can also change your personal acount back to Admin as well.

Make sure that you have a fail-safe way to remember these passwords.
Especially for the ADMINISTRATOR account, since you won't be using it regularly.

Good luck, and please post back with your progress.

lealea4435

lealea4435

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
You are a superstar,

thank you for your help I am back as the administrator and it feels so good being able to get one over on my brother hopefully from now on my PC will be my own!

I always pretended to know more about computers than my brother, well he may be heading towards the IT degree but I know the best website!

Thanks again

A very happy big sister x

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Always happy to help a damsel in distress. :-)