Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OpenGL problem.

• Please log in to reply

TPL

TPL

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently changed my hard-drive. Now I have a problem with all application and games that use OpenGL, though before they worked fine. In many cases they simply refuse to run or startup for a second or two then CTD.

In other cases to even get a program to start-up i need to lower the Hardware Accelaration to the point of disabling Direct3D.

An example for you. Google Earth is set by default to open in OpenGL. When i first attempted to open it, it displayed the error message: Google Earth encountered an error and must close (or at least something along those lines). I lowered the hardware accelaration down to the level described above and the program worked as it should, i was the able to change it to to operate in DirectX mode. I then increased the hardware accelaration up to the maximum again and the program still worked because it was still in DirectX mode.

I have also downloaded an OpenGL extension viewer, this also refuses to open outright (the 'do you wish to send an error report' popup came up) unless i lower the hardware accelaration as above.

Other games that use OpenGL refuse to work outright even though i lower Hardware Accelaration to nothing.

The operating system is XP, the graphics card is an ATI X600 with the latest Catalyst drivers installed.

Note when the Extension Viewer errors occur the reports refer to ntdll.dll. I'm not too computer literate to i'm not sure what this exactly does.

Any help or explanations as to why this has occurred?

Advertisements

TPL

TPL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Solved - installed earlier drivers instead.