Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winrar error - the file is corrupt

• Please log in to reply

supernoober

supernoober

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I keep getting this message when I try to unrar files - (file path blah blah blah ) CRC failed in (file) The file is corrupt. I recently got a new harddrive and moved all the files from C to my new harddrive, can this relate to the problem?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Are these all .rar archives, or just select archives?

supernoober

supernoober

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Yes they are, they even have the winrar icon on each file so I can just double click to extract. "packed data in CRC failed ............ The volume is corrupt." Does copying the files over to the new HD make them corrupt? Too bad I already deleted all the files from the master HD after i copied over. I transfered like 60GB all at once if that matters.

Edited by supernoober, 10 August 2007 - 07:37 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I see. What if you make a new archive and try to extract from it? Is that corrupt as well or only files from the other hard disk? May I ask what files these are?

supernoober

supernoober

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
These are home videos my cousin put on a DVD for me, then I transfered onto my master HD, extracted a few successfully. then I got a new HD and copied the rest of the rar files over. And now all of those rar files get that error. But I just created an archive and extracted and it worked. All other non-rar files I had transfered over to the new HD still work. Does this mean the rar files were corrupted during the transfer?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Are they "split archives"? if they are, then you need all of the rar archives, as they feed off of each other. When you extract them it has to be done all at once so they combine to make a whole file.

supernoober

supernoober

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Yes they are split archives numbered. And yes I am extracting all of them at once. When I double click the first one, it auto extracts them all anyway.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I see. Well, the best thing for you to do is to ask the person who provided you with the archives for another copy -- it's possible that they got corrupted in the move. How did you transfer from one hard disk to the other? Was it a CD/DVD?

supernoober

supernoober

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Well all the files were on my C drive and i just dragged it over all at once. But why did the RAR files get corrupted?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Sadly I can't say for sure. Did you transfer by both drives seeing each other? Like you had both drives connected at once?

supernoober

supernoober

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
What do you mean both drives connected at once? Both drives are installed.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Sorry, it's a little hard to explain, but what I mean is that you have one drive as C (primary) and another as E (or some other letter) installed at the same time, right? So you can just click and drag. Are teh rar files corrupted on the main drive?

supernoober

supernoober

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
No I don't think they were corrupted, o well. It's replacable. Thanks for the help though. I tried using 7-zip just now, it says something about CRC and file is broken. What does this mean?

Edited by supernoober, 11 August 2007 - 12:01 AM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
A CRC is a Cyclic Redundancy Check, which checks for incomplete data and corruption. Simply put, it means corruption. Now, how it got corrupted is something I can't answer. Sorry we can't just bring it back :whistling:

MahatmaGandi

MahatmaGandi

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
i had a similar problem.

http://www.geekstogo...pt-t164871.html

:whistling: