Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgraded to SP2 and Windows XP Pro will not load

• Please log in to reply

uzi9mm

uzi9mm

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I upgraded to service pack 2 and after the install was finished as usual you are meant to restart the pc, which i did, but once the pc reboots it gets to the Microsoft Windows XP Pro screen with the loading bar scrolling across. It Just hangs on this screen and doesn't go any further.

Can someone help? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
SP2 was probably installing and it is a large install. Hopefully you didn't interrupt the install. How long did you let it run like that?

Ron

uzi9mm

uzi9mm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I didn't interrupt the install. It installed fully and restarted the pc, but windows will not load.

Thanks.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
What brand of computer do you have? If you built it yourself, what motherboard do you have? Did you make sure it was free from all viruses and spyware before installing sp2.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You said "with the loading bar scrolling across". It takes some time after reboot for SP2 to complete before you finally get to the Desktop. That's what I was talking about. Although I have never had to shut off any firewall ot antivirus program running to get these updates or a SP to install properly, you may be experiencing that problem. Possibly try rebooting into Safe Mode and see if you have any problems from there.

Ron

uzi9mm

uzi9mm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Its a Dell pc. I usually scan the pc for viruses regularly.

I can't even reboot into safe mode.

Thanks.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I guess I have to ask this specifically then. How long after rebooting did you wait after getting the loading bar scrolling across for SP2 installation to complete?

Ron

uzi9mm

uzi9mm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Do you mean how long do I wait for the Microsoft Windows XP loading screen to appear? If thats what you mean, it comes up at normal speed, but it just hangs on this screen.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
No. How long do you allow it to "hang" at the loading screen? I'm trying to get across that installing SP2 is not going the be that quick on a reboot. There are a lot of changes to be made at this point. You have to let the process continue. If you canceled out at this screen then you DID interrupt the install. How you canceled out may determine if you are going to have more problems. I take it you are using another PC because it still "hangs". Try letting it complete the process on reboot. Hopefully, you did not cancel out by resetting PC or turning power off.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 11 August 2007 - 12:37 PM.

uzi9mm

uzi9mm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
First time round after the install and when it rebooted, I did let it hang for maybe 3 mins, but after that I turned the PC off as I thought it was stuck.

Yes I am using another PC, as I can't get into Windows on the PC in question.

I have again just left it to see if it gets past that loading screen, but nothing so far. It just stays on that same screen continuously.

uzi9mm

uzi9mm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I decided to repair Windows XP. The repairing part seems all fine, it then says that the pc will reboot in 15 secs which it does, it says that setup will continue after the rebooting of the pc.

So the pc reboots and it gets past the Windows XP loading screen, but then it comes to a light blue screen saying 'setup is restarting'. So the pc restarts again and this is a continuous circle. It will reboot and come to the same screen 'setup is restarting and so on.

Is there any solution for this?

Thanks.

Edited by uzi9mm, 11 August 2007 - 02:55 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I was afraid you would have a problem not letting it continue on the first install. When you turned off power it caused other problems. Your repair of Windows problem can be solved, but I am requesting advice of other techs on this part.

Ron

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If sp-2 is not included in the original cd then it must be installed immediately after xp was installed. If it's installed on a loaded computer which worked without it for a long time then very often you end up with serious troubles which many times are not solved even after un-installing sp-2.

I think that your best option is to format the HD and clean install xp. Sp-2 should be installed immediately after together with other windows updates. If your data is not backed-up you can connect the disk as a slave on another computer and backup the data while there.