Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Software Problem

• Please log in to reply

NYIsles4

NYIsles4

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hey GTG!

I haven't been here in a while....I actually re-registered when my id/email/password didnt work at all....but then it all of sudden worked here on the forums. Anyway, here's my problem, I'll start from the beginning.

I have a DELL (i know) Inspiron 600m, that obviously runs a version of Windows XP Professional. The laptop is 3 years old next month in September, and it still runs relatively quickly. I always run virus, adware, and spyware scans, and keep it in very good condition. That's why I'm pretty certain that this is a software related problem. Last week, my internet explorer, AIM, and AOL would not open up at all. The internet connection was there, as I did check. Therefore, due to hours of frustration in trying to get either internet explorer or AOL back up, since I couldn't access geeks to go, I figured the only thing left to do is reinstall windows. After all, it had crashed with that blue screen with the white writing saying that a system error had occurred before the internet went down. I didn't know what was wrong, the only program I installed was Azureus Vuze, which I've heard from numerous people is a safe program. Anyway, I reinstalled windows, and it's here where I think I made the error. One of the things that I did erase a partition, and I reinstalled windows on the partition that was previously used. Windows installed fine. I have all my programs back up and running. However, at certain times my laptop seems to crash every now and then based on what I'm doing. For instance, yesterday I went to NFL.com to check some football scores, and when I clicked on the scores section.....boom.....it crashed. I rebooted Windows and tried again, but it crashed that time too.

The second and main reason I am here is for a very annoying reason. When I push the power button. A black screen with white writing is the first thing I see. It asks which operating system I want to use, and I can choose from Microsoft Windows XP Professional, or Microsoft Windows XP Professional....it says it twice, one on the top of the other. The first one boots Windows normally, the second one tells me that the system wont load. I have 30 seconds to choose which operating system I want to run, and tells me the normal options of pushing F2 or F8 for their respective purposes. I figured that this is due to the way I deleted/installed windows on the partitions. I hope I didn't make a huge error. It angered me enough over the course of two days that my mom told me to take the credit card to Circuit City so I could buy a Toshiba or Sony Vaio. I decided not to, hopefully this laptop is a few click away from being fixed.

If someone could help me with those two problems, the crashes, and the unorthodoxed way of starting up, I'd very much appreciate it. If you need a picture of what the screen says, I can get that for you and attach it. Thanks again!!

Edited by NYIsles4, 11 August 2007 - 08:56 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi NYIsles4...

Click Start, then Run, type eventvwr.msc and click "Ok". Look under both "Applications" and "System" and list any errors that occurred at about the same time as your crashes.

Open Control Panel (Classic View) and double click the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click the "Edit" button. A notepad window will open (boot.ini)...copy the contents of that window and paste it here for me.

Open "Local Disk C:" from My Computer...do you see more than one folder in there named Windows (or with Windows as a part of the name)?

wannabe1

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
how did you delete the other partition? do you you still have 2 partition on your hardisk?

NYIsles4

NYIsles4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I don't know how you want me to list the first part, but here are two things I found:

The server {F3A614DC-ABE0-11D2-A441-00C04F795683} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Error code 100000d1, parameter1 82400000, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 f8110b98.

I've been getting a lot of Microsoft error reports every now and then reporting that Windows has recovered from a serious error, with that DCOM thing as the reason. Even before I re-installed Windows, my computer had crashed once. As far as the second part, here's the contents of boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Finally, I see one folder titled "WINDOWS", other then that, there's just regular items. There are two files I've never seen before though, titled "VETlog" and "VETlog.dmp".

In response to the other response, from what I remember, I erased the partition that was being used and re-installed Windows XP Professional on the unused partition. That's the best I can say, I really don't remember much more.

Edited by NYIsles4, 11 August 2007 - 05:49 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The error you describe is usually caused by MSN Messenger. Do you use it? Do you use Outlook as your e-mail/news client?

The "VETlog" and "VETlog.dmp" files you see are generally related to ViewPoint Media Player. Do you have that installed on the machine?

Open the boot.ini file as you did before and remove the line of text shown in red below. Then click "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save". Close all open windows and reboot.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

NYIsles4

NYIsles4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Wow GTG is unbelievable, you guys are 4 for 4 with fixing my problems over the last almost three years. How do you guys get so good??? Well now that that problem is fixed, I'll answer the other questions. I do not use MSN messenger, and unless MSN Messenger is the same thing as Windows Messenger, I didn't even know I had it on my computer. I don't want either of them, as AIM is my default messaging program. I've tried to uninstall the unused one on numerous occasion in the past, I have no clue how to uninstall it fully. Also, I do not use outlook, I use AOL. I do have Viewpoint Media Player, or as I call it, VLC. I use it for things that WMP can't play, other then that, WMP is my default media player. Is it ok to delete those files I listed above, or can I move them to a different location? I think that's about it, hopefully I won't get anymore crashes. Finally, what is your take on Azureus. Is it safe for me to run that program? Thanks again for your help.

Edited by NYIsles4, 11 August 2007 - 07:46 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...there are several ways to stop MSN Messenger from loading with Windows. Try the following first:

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, locate MsnMsgr in the list and remove the tick from the box next to it. Apply the change and reboot when prompted. Upon restarting, you will receive a Selective Startup dialog window...this is normal. Tick the box to not show it again and click "Ok". This should eliminate that particular DCOM error.

The files related to VLC can be deleted...they are simply bugcheck files. Should the program encounter another serious error, they will be recreated.

I never recommend installing or using torrents...it's too easy to invite unwanted nasties into your system. That one will have to be your call.

NYIsles4

NYIsles4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I couldn't find the "MsnMsgr", but I did find "MSMSGS" and "msmsgs". I unticked both fo them for now. I hope this is what you're talking about. Should I delete the entire Windows Messenger folder from Program Files?

I did what you said about the VLC files. About the Azureus, I agree. I'll uninstall it when I get a chance to.

Edited by NYIsles4, 11 August 2007 - 09:03 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The MSMSGS references are to the Windows Messenger which is replacing the MSN Messenger...it may be the one that's causing the problem. The error is caused when messenger tries to sign on automatically and you haven't provided it with a username and password....it times out and throws an error. Not a serious error in this case...more just an annoyance. We'll have to wait and see if the errors cease.

Look in C:\Program Files. Is there a folder named Messenger?

Good choice on the torrent software. :whistling:

NYIsles4

NYIsles4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
yeah there is a folder called messenger, what should i do about it?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on it and rename it Messenger-stop

Reboot and see if it throws an error...if it doesn't, this will prevent the messenger from opening.

NYIsles4

NYIsles4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I tried renaming it but access was denied. I think this is because it is running somehow, which means the previous step where I unticked the msmsgs didn't work.

Edited by NYIsles4, 12 August 2007 - 09:01 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go back to the Run command, type services.msc and click "Ok". Find Messenger in the list and double click on it. Look under the "Dependencies" tab. If there is nothing listed in the lower box...and there shouldn't be...click on the "General" tab and change the Startup Type to "Disabled". Apply the change and reboot.

Then try to rename the folder...though after this, it isn't really necessary.

NYIsles4

NYIsles4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I did as exactly as you said. There was nothing listed in the second box, however under the "General" tab, disabled was already the chosen option. I rebooted anyway and tried to rename C:\Program Files\Messenger, and it still said that access was denied. If this isn't a big deal, then I'll leave it as it is for now, unless you have another idea.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you are no longer getting the DCOM errors, I'd let it go.