Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FREECOM BLUE SCREEN?

• Please log in to reply

Hussain

Hussain

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys,

Sorry if i have bought up a subject that is been bought up b4. I recently started to notice my computer bringing up a blue screen and restarting. I didnt knw what it was untill further research, i have a Freecom 160gb external hard drive and everytime its connected via usb it restarts the laptop randomly. I have been very distressed over this as i have my life on the drive. Can anyone help me???

Many regards new member.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Try to connect the disk to another computer and see how it works there.

2: As a safety measure, if the disk is operable between restarts, backup your data to another media.

3: USB disks are essentially IDE disks enclosed in a box having IDE to USB converter. As a last resort the disk can be taken out of the enclosure and installed on another computer as an IDE drive, enabling backup or recovery of the data.

Hussain

Hussain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
is there anyother way to sort it out and leave it as an external drive??? and i wouldnt knw how to IDE connect to desktop. do all external drives fail???