Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Okay, full story.

Parents friend gave them a computer that had a 256 mb video card in it. My parents had no use for this, but i did as i'd just bought a computer that i wanted to use for gaming, and hadn't got a video card myself yet.

I took the card out, but then realised i didn't have one to replace it with that would work properly, so i put the card back in.

BTW, take note that i have taken it out, at this point, and when replaced, all games and stuff still worked, and it was recognizing the card.

A few months later, i got my hands on an old 64mb card from a friend, which i put into my parents computer and everything was fine there. So i put the 256 in my computer, and then i realize i don't have the drivers or anything, because the computer was given to my parents, none of the hardware software came with it and i don't know what model or anything the card is.

When i put the 256 back into my parents computer, it wouldn't recognize the card, and when i tried to start a game or something, i'd get an error. For example, trying to start Dawn of War: Dark Crusade gives me a "failed to initialize video card" error.

I checked DXDIAG and this is what it had to say.

------------------------
Device

Manufacturer: n/a
Chip Type: n/a
DAC Type: n/a
Approx. Total Memory: n/a
Current Display Mode: 1024 X 768 (32 bit) (1Hz)
Monitor:

------------------------
Drivers

Main Driver: vga.dll
Version: 5.01.2600.0000 (English)
Date: 8/23/2001 22:00:00
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Mini VDD: vga.sys
VDD: n/a
DDI Version: unknown

-------------------------

with the DirectX Features, it says DirectDraw Acceleration, Direct3D Acceleration and AGP Texture Acceleration aren't available.

In the little white box at the bottom it says it's using a generic video driver and to please install the drivers provided by the hardware manufacturer.

~Seltox

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Okay, i done all that, turned out to be an nVidia GeForce FX 5200. Something cool i found in that Program was that if you clicked on the product, it had a "more info" and "download drivers" thingos.

I can't download the drivers right now as the file is too large and i have this lame 'download limit' thing. I'll get a friend on unlimited to get it and then tell you if it all works.

Thanks a lot for the help =)