Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New motherboard for old Vaio

• Please log in to reply

Parti(nobody)cular

Parti(nobody)cular

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So I've got a hand-me-down Sony Vaio desktop (PCV-RX540). Now, a while ago I thought about upgrading the RAM, but when I looked into what type I need, I found that the motherboard on this particular Vaio has exactly two slots for RAM which are limited to a total of 512kb. This is much too small. We need bigger. Yes.

Seeing as how I'll be starting my new job soon, I'll be able to afford an entirely new computer. But being both cheap and a geek, I thought about building my own (which I've never done, might be cool). But then it occured to me that my Vaio is actually serving my purposes adequately, it's just a little slow (also it probably can't run WoW or Spore).

So what I wanna do is put a newer motherboard, processor, and memory in my Vaio, keeping my present drives and cards. In theory, this will let me get a faster computer for less money without having to move all my data.

So... guide me. First and foremost, will this work? My other geeky friends insist that building a computer is pretty much Tab A into Slot A once you get the right components, but I fear royally screwing up my precious PC. Secondly, what information do I need, where do I look for it, do you have any recommendations as far as what components I should be getting, etc.

I'm about to crack open my tower to start writing down serial numbers and taking pictures, I just wanted to get this up first.

Advertisements

Parti(nobody)cular

Parti(nobody)cular

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This link contains another link to a PDF with system specs for my computer, but it doesn't say anything about the motherboard.

I have pictures. This is a photo of the motherboard with the power supply out of the way.

I think what I'm really asking for is a list of good motherboards.