Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dial up problems, error 721

• Please log in to reply

Gembob9

Gembob9

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I accidentally turned my computer off whilst on the internet. When I turned it back on it said I needed to configure a modem. I messed around and rebooted a few times and it managed to find it but then when I tried to get back onto the internet it came up with error 721, remote computer didn't respond. AS far as I know my ISP didn't change anything (and I was on the internet only minutes before?).

I messed around a bit more (always a bad idea) and decided to reinstall everything. I promptly uninstalled my modem before realising I don't have the installation disk as I bought the pc with it already installed.

So I have two problems, one, no modem and two can't get onto the internet anyway. :whistling:

I (foolishly) thought I had some idea of what I was doing, but evidently not. Can someone put me out of my misery! Thanks

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Is this a name brand computer like Dell or HP? If it is, what model number is it? If not download Everest to another computer and burn it to disk or use a usb thumb drive and install it on your PC. It should tell you what modem you have then we can find drivers for it.

Gembob9

Gembob9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
it's not a branded one, it was built for me. I'm fairly sure the modem is an Intel 526. Does that help?

Gembob9

Gembob9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I had another look and it's definitely an Intel ® 536 EP Modem.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Intel 536EP modems are recognised by Windows Update.
Therefore install a new driver for it and tell it to search Windows Update.

Or find a friend with a broadband connection, ask them nicely if you can borrow it, lug your computer round there, plug it in and take it to Windows Update. It should offer you a bunch of things and a new hardware driver for that modem.