Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SMTP Greeting?

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I used DNSstuff to test out my domain. I received a warning that said:

WARNING: One or more of your mailservers is claiming to be a host other than what it really is (the SMTP greeting should be a 3-digit code, followed by a space or a dash, then the host name). If your mailserver sends out E-mail using this domain in its EHLO or HELO, your E-mail might get blocked by anti-spam software. This is also a technical violation of RFC821 4.3 (and RFC2821 4.3.1). Note that the hostname given in the SMTP greeting should have an A record pointing back to the same server. Note that this one test may use a cached DNS record.

I have conflicting reports that this is not that bad, and this is bad. So my question is, is it bad and should it be fixed, and if so how to do that.

Thanks in advanced!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Which one of the many checks did you use? I did the DNSreport which did tag a few things for mine. I'm now looking into making a SPF (Sender Policy Framework) record. Personnaly, I would check with my hosting service on this and see what they say. getting pros and cons about a report may reflect more on what else passed/failed. Possibly submit a Support Ticket. The report was based on a cached record which may not be accurate.

Ron

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that error is only really an issue if you're dealing with someone who's UBER RFC compliant....the fact of the matter is that MOST people's mail servers will in fact claim to be something else...ALOT of people's mail servers are in fact...something other than what DNS says (think spam filters etc...)....mine's said that since i've worked at my company and it's not causing me any issues

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I didnt think it was a huge deal. Also I have created a SPF record but not implemented it, what do you think about that?

Too much hassle or good idea?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
SPF is a great idea....right now there aren't that many people checking it...but that number is growing...i do SPF checking on my spam firewall and it helps A LOT with spoofed mail....my mail was actually getting spoofed a bit and i implimented a pretty strict SPF record and informed my known customers to start checkin SPF and the spoofs stopped

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Hows this for my spf record:
v=spf1 ip4:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -all

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
mine is

"v=spf1 mx a:mail.mydomain.com -all"

this allows for a bit more dynamic DNS than using a static IP....the MX means that anything designated as an MX record in my public DNS is approved....just in case i end up with multiple MX records or if they change my IP's or anything like that...then the A record is the host name for my OWA (diff public IP than my MX)....just to make sure that stuff get's out as well...

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Ok, that makes sense, I think I will change mine to that as well. Now I just need to get ahold of the web hosting company that is authoritative for my domain and see if they can add it.