Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

subnettin

• Please log in to reply

Luke1988

Luke1988

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
heya. i have been revising subnetting for one of my exams and i was starting to understand it. then i looked at the practice question and got confused again!

QUESTION

Please attempt the following examples: Find the subnet mask, IP address range, IP address of the host, IP address of the subnet and the broadcast address for the subnet.

Question number : 1
No bits borrowed : 4
Subnet number : 7
Host number : 11

ANSWER

Net id for 192.6.6.0

Subnet ID for 11th subnet : 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 .176
1st host 11th subnet : 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 .177
2nd host 11th subnet : 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 .178
7th host 11th subnet : 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 .183
Last host 11th subnet : 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 .190
Broadcast on 11th subnet :1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 .191

Subnet mask = 128+64+32+16 = 255.255.255.240

any help on how you get this answer from the question will be much appreciated

thanks **Luke**

Advertisements

Maxx_PL

Maxx_PL

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
There are good explanations for those in Wendell Odom books for CCNA exam from Cisco Press. Theres a lot of pages about it, so i don't want to quote it all here. There are few methods actually to calculate it with magic formulas or just by some kind of trial-and-error matching to some subnets.

BTW when i see the answer it's quite clear for me, but i think that question don't have all needed data. Maybe it's just one of many correct answers. Or there may be some previous assumptions about used subnets for all practice questions you got.