Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick RAM question

• Please log in to reply

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Posted Image

I know I need PC3200 CL3 RAM, but do I need any other specific kind? (I want the same kind, not make, but same speed and timing and stuff).

Thanks.

I looked around on Google and saw loads of stuff like 3-4-4-5. What's that?

Edited by Supercalifragilistic, 14 August 2007 - 05:27 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
3-4-4-5 are the RAM timing values for CAS latency, RAS# to CAS#, RAS# Precharge, and Tras (Just like the values shown for your existing memory under the 'Timings Table' if you read each column from top to bottom for each of the three bus speeds.

To be sure of getting an identical module your best option is to stick with that brand and do a search online for that manufacturer/part number if it's still available, as shown in your screenshot.

If all you want is compatible RAM with a 'money back guarantee' if it doesn't work, go to Crucial and use their 'Scan My System' tool.
http://www.crucial.com/uk/

The timings values for a module do not have to be identical to your existing RAM in order for them to work together in your system. Only serious overclockers and 'geeks' bother with that side of it. The rest of us don't give a hoot about timings just so long as it works.

Edited by pip22, 15 August 2007 - 08:15 AM.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Is this okay?

http://tinyurl.com/yr36sl

Also, that says 400mhz, but mine's 200mhz. Is that RAM actually 200mhz but it's doubled? Also, I increased my FSB to overclock my CPU, will this have an effect on the RAM? Thanks.

Edited by Supercalifragilistic, 15 August 2007 - 10:15 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I would avoid purchasing hardware components off eBay, if possible.