Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hated vista, formated, now cannot connect to internet on my notebook :

• Please log in to reply

alleywayriqashay

alleywayriqashay

• Pip
  • 3 posts
basically what the title said. i only have a gig on my hp laptop.. i completely nuked the hard drive with this on cd, so i guess some drivers got wiped as well. regardless. i can't connect simply buy plugging in my Ethernet cord anymore. im stressed and im trying wut i can but i don't know wut it could be. thank you.

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Some more information would be helpful. Are we to assume that you installed Windows XP after you "nuked" your drive? Or did you install a Linux distro?

alleywayriqashay

alleywayriqashay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
im not quite sure wut that means. i installed windows after i nuked (formatted) my hardrive.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
If you installed Windows XP, I am still assuming that you did, did you install the drivers for your network card? When you go to Start then Run and type in devmgmt.msc do you see any red x's or any yellow exclamation marks?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
as cmw2010 means, have a look at your device manager(press the button that looks like the windows flag on your keyboard together with the R button, type devmgmt.msc and then press enter) you will probably see there that there is a yellow blob on some of the icons in device manager so you will need to I would go the maker's site(sony, toshiba, acer, etc) by using another computer, click the place which says drivers and look up the model on their list, (for example, find the eithernet driver in this case) then download that driver to the other computer and (by using a USB key or by burn to cd) transfer the driver to your computer, lastly install it on your computer by uninstalling the yellow blob in device manager followed by hitting the "scran for new material" button in device manager, and if the wizard does find the driver at the place you have put it you will have to browse the wizard to it when it asks.

not very clear I know but post back if no joy

alleywayriqashay

alleywayriqashay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i did got to the laptops website. but unfortunately they dont make to many drivers for my laptop in xp. but thank you for all your help. ill go with vista instead