Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clicking, Blue screen, Operating System not Found

• Please log in to reply

ognj

ognj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Tuesday night I turned my computer off and heard some clicking noise during shut down.

Wed. morning computer booted normally, but still had same clicking noise. I thought it was the CD drive, it wasn't

Next I got the Blue sceen of death, the computer rebooted and I got the same screen.

After the blue screen it went black and I got this message "operating system not found" :whistling:

Is my hard drive dead?

My husband has the same computer, can I put my hard drive in his laptop to get any data?

I also did some searching around and saw some suggestions to try the recovery consol on the start-up CD

What should I do next to troubleshoot the problem and fix it?

Or is playing around with a hard drive better left to a professional? What about the help desk at Best Buy?

Also, I am I better off with a new computer (mine is from Aug 2002) or a new hard drive?
If I put a new hard drive in if there is an electrical problem it will just fry it? right?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR HELP
ps I have a lot of baby pictures of my son born just a year ago that I would like to keep!

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo, hope that it is not a classic case of the harddrive "tick of death" where the harddrive disk gets out pivot(thus the tick) only to lead to eventual death because there is no recoving data if that be so, however, lets pretend that it is not, can you get into safemode to prove me wrong, also do you have a copy of the XPpro CD handy to try a repair with.

ognj

ognj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks.......

I am pretty sure that it was the tick of death.

So, I did't want to boot again to harm the Hard drive.

I have an A30 thinkpad, is it going to crash again if I get another hard drive?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
your hard drive is dying for sure...i'd get a new hard drive and pull the old one out...then you can install windows on the new drive...then get an external hard drive enclosure to put the old one in...then you can save all those baby pictures before you trash the drive (i suggest taking it apart...they're really nifty inside and the magnets are really strong and fun to play with)