Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

941 mb word file

• Please log in to reply

OCman

OCman

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I downloaded an entire thread in word format from a message board that uses IP Board. I've used Word 2003 and OpenOffice and neither one can open this file.

I don't have access to the file on the message board anymore because they closed the board.

How can I open this file?

thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A 941Mb file should open in Word no problem if you give it enough time. It will take a very long time to open though and probably bleed the system dry while doing it mind, but it should be able to do it no problem.

Or are you getting any messages?

OCman

OCman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
If I was able to open the file why the [bleep] would I post a message saying that I was UNABLE to open the file in Word 2003, Word has a 32MB limit.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

If I was able to open the file why the [bleep] would I post a message saying that I was UNABLE to open the file in Word 2003, Word has a 32MB limit.

The 32Mb limit only applies to text. Files with graphics involved (embedded or otherwise) don't count towards this limit.
Therefore if the document is purely embedded graphics and no text whatsoever, as far as Word is concerned it should be openable. However this is no guarantee.

Having said that, the general solution is to find a program that can open it. For a 941Mb file you'll be hard pushed to find something that can open it. So all I can suggest is grab as many word processing programs as you can find:
http://en.wikipedia....word_processors

And see if any of them can open the file. If none of them can do it, then unfortunately you'll have lost the contents of the file and there isn't a lot you can do about it, I'm afraid.

OCman

OCman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
thanks for the list.