Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive size

• Please log in to reply

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
HI,
I have that on this computer already. I went into it, it did something to the non something and now it is showing 2 partitions, what do I do?

Thanks,
Samantha

Advertisements

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Ok, I went back and looked and now I have 2 drives, is there a way to get this to 1 drive?

Thanks for all your guys help I really appreciate it!

Samantha

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
This is my 160gig drive in disk management (see picture Disk 0)
I always create a second partition and save all my data to it, if for some reason I have to format the C partition all my data on the D partition will still be there.

Now you can see the rest of the drive you can delete the partition and recreate a new clean one if there is nothing on it you don’t want, or change it to a different file system ie FAT32 - NTFS or any other file system you may want to use.

Disk Management is a very basic program in windows, I use PQ Magic as it gives you more options

Using the Windows interface
Open Computer Management (Local).
In the console tree, click Disk Management.
Right-click the partition, logical drive, or volume you want to delete, and then click Delete Partition.

Important
When you delete a partition, all data on that deleted partition or logical drive is lost.
You cannot recover deleted partitions or logical drives.

Notes
To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.

You cannot delete the system volume, boot volume, or any volume that contains the active paging file or crash dump (memory dump).

You cannot delete an extended partition unless the extended partition is empty.
All the logical drives in an extended partition must be deleted before you can delete the extended partition.

Attached Thumbnails

• disk_management.JPG

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
How do I make my harddrive 1 full 160 gb harddrive?
Thanks,
Samantha

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Choose one you are comfortable with

http://support.wdc.c...m...=999&swid=1

Data LifeGuide Tools 11.2 for Windows
Data LifeGuide Tools 11.2 for Dos Cd
Data LifeGuide Tools 11.2 for Floppy
Data LifeGuide Tools 11.0 for Dos
Data LifeGuide Tools 11.0 for Dos Cd

Description:

The downloadable Data Lifeguard Tools now comes in both DOS and Windows versions and was written specifically for the installation of Western Digital EIDE hard drives. If your computer system already has a hard drive installed with an operating system of Windows 98SE or greater, you should use the Windows version of Data Lifeguard for best results. The DOS version is required if installing a hard drive in a new system without existing operating system support. If you plan on copying the contents of a boot drive, Western Digital recommends using the DOS version of Data Lifeguard Tools

Instructions: For Data Lifeguard Tools 11.2 for Windows

1. Download the dlgsetup11_win.zip.
2. Extract and run the Dlgsetup11_win.exe file.
3. Read and accept the license agreement to continue.
4. Once installed, you will be prompted to run the program or may run the program manually from either the programs menu or from the shortcut on your desktop.
5. You will see the following options:
1. VIEW INSTALLATION TUTORIAL - Instructions on how to connect your new hard drive to the computer.
2. SETUP YOUR HARD DRIVE - Setup a hard drive already connected to your computer.
3. DRIVE-TO-DRIVE COPY - Copy all the files or a specific folder from one drive to another.
4. HARD DRIVE INFORMATION - Jumper Settings and other technical information about your hard drive.
6. Select the task you wish to perform.

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
HI,
I have the cd, it is installed on the computer. But doing all of that doesn't make my hard drive whole, it is in 2 partitions, and I don't think I want it that way.

and, let me ask this, I am going to be using this hard drive in another computer later. When I install it I don't want to lose the data on it, will it install as 1 hard drive or in 2 partitions, like it is now?

Thanks for helping me, I know you are probably sick of me by now...lol, but I can't get the second partition to join the first.

Thanks,
Samantha

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
It can be done but there are some risks, moving a hard drive from one computer to another has some risk involved. The best thing to do is a clean install but you need to save some data.

There are things you need to do first, I can give you step by step guides over the next few days if you like. Or you can email me so you can print out the steps I can send you.

NeedMoDro

NeedMoDro

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have a 250gb data drive, I just rightclicked on it in mycomputer and hit format. was that wrong? it only gave me 232gb, i take it I am able to fix this and get the full 250? i split my 150 into 60/90. XP is intalled on the 60gb and it tells me about 58gb of space. I have not formated the 90gb partiton, I was going to let Vista do it when I intstall it. So right now I am missing about 20GB of space, any easy way to get it back? there is no way I'm gonna format the C:(60GB) again, not for a lousy 2gb, but I could easly redo the 250GB, can I just get a simple partition windows app to do it?

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Discrepancy Between Reported Capacity and Actual Capacity
Many customers are confused when their operating system reports, for example, that their new ST310240A 10.24-Gbyte hard drive is reporting only 9.85 Gbytes in usable capacity. Several factors may come into play when you see the reported capacity of a disc drive. Unfortunately there are two different number systems which are used to express units of storage capacity; binary, which says that a kilobyte is equal to 1024 bytes, and decimal, which says that a kilobyte is equal to 1000 bytes. The storage industry standard is to display capacity in decimal. Even though in binary you have more bytes, the decimal representation of a Gbyte shows greater capacity. In order to accurately understand the true capacity of your disc drive, you need to know which base unit of measure (binary or decimal) is being used to represent capacity. Another factor that can cause misrepresentation of the size of a disc drive is BIOS limitations. Many older BIOS are limited in the number of cylinders they can support.

Name
Gigabyte

Binary Value (in Decimal)

Decimal(Equivalent)

250000 divided by 1073 = 232.991gigabyte

http://computer.hows....com/bytes3.htm

Edited by peter99, 07 September 2007 - 05:02 AM.

NeedMoDro

NeedMoDro

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Name
Gigabyte

Binary Value (in Decimal)

Decimal(Equivalent)

250000 divided by 1073 = 232.991gigabyte

http://computer.hows....com/bytes3.htm

Sweet, it all makes sense now, when I looked up how may KB were in a GB it didnt tell me anything about decimal. When I installed windows I put in the binary size for 60GB, and I checked last night I have 60GB total and 58GB free. That also explains why my 250GB is showing up 232.

Edited by NeedMoDro, 07 September 2007 - 09:29 AM.

Advertisements