Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

failed to query tcp ip settings of the connection..

• Please log in to reply

elektrobank

elektrobank

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer suddenly wont connect to the net and keeps giving me the following error when I try to repair the connection:

"failed to query tcp ip settings of the connection"

I have seen tons of posts and web pages on this and have tried literally everything I read and nothing has worked. Here is what I have done so far:

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset log.txt
WinsockFix
Reinstalled TCP/IP
Reinstalled network card drivers
Ran a system recovery
Did a clean install of Windows XP Pro
Replaced TCPIP.SYS file with one from a working computer
Bought a new network card
Bought a new wireless network card (Wireless connection shows up as disabled, then gives a "connection failed" error when I enable it)
Updated the BIOS to every version available

None of this has worked. This computer was just working fine a couple days ago. What could be the problem?? I don't know what else to try, any suggestions?

Advertisements

microblos

microblos

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have the same problem, and have tried the same solutions as above. I think Microsuck put out an update that caused this in combination with something else.

My problem started at the same time as yours as well.

I have looked all over with no successfull solutions provided.

XP Home SP2, was running Norton 03, upgraded to latest norton AV, that was working for a few days before this problem. But to be sure I uninstalled it and have tried all the solutions above. What should I do?

microblos

microblos

• Pip
  • 4 posts
one other thing my connection is a physical lan adapter, not wireless.

microblos

microblos

• Pip
  • 4 posts
try this: http://msmvps.com/bl...6/09/51432.aspx

it didn't work for me but it did for some other people, it is the exact same error/symptoms

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to move the communications card to another pci slot.

Try to ping 127.0.0.1

microblos

microblos

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Try to move the communications card to another pci slot.

Try to ping 127.0.0.1

I get unable to contact IP driver. error code 2.

In device manager TCP/IP has a yellow exclamation and says the driver is unable to load error code 24, I have followed numerous steps to try and fix that with no success. MS has an article on it which did not work and the link above also has an article on it. Seems like the only way to fix this rat [bleep] is to reformat and resintall everything...

elektrobank

elektrobank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I can ping 127.0.0.1. The ethernet is built in, not a card, so I can't move it.

I've reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows, so what else could be the problem?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Sorry for my late reply. My mail service was broken in the last two days.

Hi microblos. Please start a new topic with your own problem. It's very confusing two work with two users on the same thread.

Hi Elektrobank:

As I see it the problem can be either with the communication card, the cable or the modem. Try to ping the DNS server. You can get it's IP by writing first ipconfig /all. What do you get when you do that.

FlyingDogg

FlyingDogg

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Something else to give a try. Had the same issue on a computer that had worked fine until a major crash. Had to replace a drive. When system was reloaded had no connection. After trying many fixes I noticed that there was no LAN connection only the "1394 Connection". Found the driver disk for motherboard, loaded Ethernet Controller. Reboot and all is well.

Thanks to all
The Dogg

thomaswinn

thomaswinn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Download WinSockFix, Run and reboot.
Your problem could be fixed! :)

Thomas

Edited by thomaswinn, 27 December 2008 - 04:56 AM.