Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't boot

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you were able to boot to the Windows Diagnostic Tool disk and the tests ran, but failed, I'd have to say your RAM module may have gone bad. I'd try a new stick of RAM.

Advertisements

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
How much does it usually cost for a 512mb or a 1gb? are you sure that can be it because i dont want to buy it and its not it? I would accpet any advice you give me, thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
All indicators to this point say it's bad hardware, but without being able to boot the machine, it's kinda hard to tell for sure exactly what the problem is. That said, RAM is hardware, the machine will boot to the Diagnostic Tool and run the tests, and the tests fail. To me, this says bad RAM.

Prices on RAM varies by manufacturer, but you should get some idea of costs Here. Your machine uses DDR pc2100.

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Does it have to be DDR pc2100? I just want to know so I can by this kind, I rather by it here in PR that through Internet because the garranty, thanks

Edited by BSNCAPBYY, 26 August 2007 - 04:34 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...that's what the spec sheet for your model eMachine says it requires. It WILL have to be DDR. The speed can vary a little, but I'd recommend staying with what the manufacturer suggests.

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Thanks man, you have been great, I will buy it soon and tell you the result, great job!!!

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I would want to know which of these memories work for my pc here are 3 that i considered could you please tell me if they are compatable with my machine?

http://www.spartante...D...28X64&m1=pg

http://www.tigerdire...e...6&CatId=840

http://configurator....;GCID=C8090x010

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Any of those would work.

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Today my ram came by mail, it is "Memory pc2100 1GB DDR 128X64" i put it on my pc and i forgot that the memory test cd was still in and it said accepted(in other words, it works) so I wanted to reformat with any of my 2 dvd i got and i got this error message on both saying" 0xc0000017, Your do not have enough free memory in your system!", please help me and tell me what this is. ASAP, thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That sounds more like a full HDD than a RAM problem, but let's see. Do you have one stick of RAM installed...or two?

Advertisements

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Do you have one stick of RAM installed...or two?
The new one is installed

With the old ram installed it recognized it but the blue screen kept on showing when i tried to reformat it, the "bootmgr is missing" always appeared and with the new ram it didnt recognized it, it always said"Your do not have enough free memory in your system!", I bought the ram that you said and everything, it is the same specifications, now what? Please do you best to help me, we are getting close, thanks

Edited by BSNCAPBYY, 09 September 2007 - 08:43 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This is an odd one, BSNCAPBYY.

bootmgr is usually associated with Vista...not XP. Have you ever had Vista in any form on this machine? Do you have more than one HDD installed?

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Have you ever had Vista in any form on this machine?
Yes, vista was installed when my computer started to crash, I tried putting xp just so the computer would run but none would work.

Do you have more than one HDD installed?
I think not, i havent modified this pc(except the new ram).

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried booting to the Vista disk?

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Have you tried booting to the Vista disk?
Just so I can be sure, what do you mean by this question?