Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Code for Win95?

• Please log in to reply

edjay

edjay

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Help with a code for original M$ 95?

As I type, I'm downloading Linux Mint 3.0 on my main system, and formating an old 6.5G Fujitsu drive on my "test" rig, in the hope of loading a legit M$ 95 which was passed on to me after someones system died.

As well as the OS, I got Money 98, 2 disc Encarta 98, M$ Works 4.5, M$ Golf for 95 and 3D Moviemaker also for 95. These are all in the original cases that have COA's, silver strips, and even watermarks on them!! Sadly, the only one without the front cover is the 95 disk itself. :whistling:

Which leads me to a question: Is there a way for me to find out the original code for the OS CD?
I know that for XP there's "Rock XP" for finding out the code. Is there something similar for 95?

Just so we understand: 2 weeks ago, I loaded a brand-new XP Pro onto an 80G Seagate drive (registered) that sits in my 3200+ AM2 rig in a Vantec caddy with an LCD screen. It's the biz! In the same kind of caddy I am running Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) on another 80G Seagate. That's the biz too! It would be really nice to get this legit 95 up and running on either a 533 Celeron (A small desktop. ready to go), or a 900 Athlon that I have some older graphics cards to try out on. Oh!! Loads more questions!! :blink:

Just so you know I'm not here after Cracks!!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

EDit* I typed the code from one of the software boxes and it's loading!! :help:

Edited by edjay, 18 August 2007 - 06:48 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I think the way you find the code for 95 is the same as for 98, go to Run, type in regedit, hit OK, the Registry Editor will open, expand HKLM, Software, Microsoft, Windows, and highlight CurVer, which is the current version. You will see the code below on the right panel. Be very careful when writing it down, as it's easy to confuse Us and Vs and any error will cause it not to work.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

EDit* I typed the code from one of the software boxes and it's loading!! :whistling:

Does this mean your Win 95 question is answered? lol

Ron

edjay

edjay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

EDit* I typed the code from one of the software boxes and it's loading!! :whistling:

Does this mean your Win 95 question is answered? lol

Ron

I don't know, I'll tell you later - Ron! Omg, you must av' heard that at least twice by now!

Yes, the question is answered thanks! I need to look for various drivers now like the SiS 730s for the mobo which I can't put a name to yet? Not to worry, even less to hurry, it's a bit of nostalgia as I didn't get my first computer until 2001 and it had 98SE on it: I have noticed that in safe mode it's really fast with a 1200 Duron and 256 PC133!! No wonder, figuratively speaking, this would have been a system owned by the ESA or NASA in 1995! :blink:

All the best!

Edited by edjay, 22 August 2007 - 02:19 AM.

edjay

edjay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I think the way you find the code for 95 is the same as for 98, go to Run, type in regedit, hit OK, the Registry Editor will open, expand HKLM, Software, Microsoft, Windows, and highlight CurVer, which is the current version. You will see the code below on the right panel. Be very careful when writing it down, as it's easy to confuse Us and Vs and any error will cause it not to work.

Hey Tygs!

That's an incredibly precise answer which I missed first by going to the last reply. Thank you. I'll give such things a try when (if) I can find all the drivers! :whistling:

Edited by edjay, 22 August 2007 - 02:18 AM.