Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hi All, I have a PC restart problem

• Please log in to reply

RogueSheep

RogueSheep

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all.

I am having a problem with my PC restarting over and over again. It gets to the screen that tells you you computer restarted and you have the option of starting in safe mode, safe mode with networking (currently I am in that state), safe mode with command prompt, restart using last known configuration (didn't work, sent me to this screen again) and start windows normally (didn't work, sent me to this screen again).

I have dusted inside of PC, reseated all cards and the main PC chip. No difference.

I have went in and disabled restart on error to see if I get BSOD. No difference. I have never gotten the BSOD.

All fans are working, PC is not hot.

I went into msconfig and restarted PC numerous times, boots up with all options except boot normally, then it starts the restarting process again. I am guessing maybe this is a driver problem? If it is, how do I go about finding the faulty driver? I have not installed anything recently, and my AVG and Avast are not coming up with any viruses.

Any suggestions or help would be soooo appreciated, I am going crazy here, lol!

Thank You,
Robin

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start with the video card drivers / software

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

RogueSheep

RogueSheep

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the quick response!

I downloaded Everest.

I have nvidia FX 5200. I went to Nvidia and downloaded latest driver. I unisnstalled the old and installed the new. No difference, still have same problem.

I also updated my DirectX 9...no difference.

I have XP SP2 fully updated.

What should I try next?

Robin

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

If you do not have an XP CD and are unable to borrow one, run the scan, click skip if it asks for the CD, if it keeps asking, click cancel.

If it kept asking for the XP CD then system files are missing

Click start then run, type chkdsk /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

RogueSheep

RogueSheep

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the info, I will do this and get back to you...

Robin

RogueSheep

RogueSheep

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi again,

I have all steps as listed until Tune up 2007 trial...I can not install...it gives a statement that system administrator has policies against download. I am still having to work in safe mode, as nothing thus far had remedied that. So maybe being in safe mode does not allow program to install? I downloaded nvidia and direct x with no problem. I looked under system administrator options and could not find any settings that would indicate I did not have full authority over everything?so what the...??

When I ran sfc /scannow, a screen popped up, black with command prompt and onfo, but disappered so fast I could not read it. Repeated step, did it again. It never asked for a XP disk, so I went to next step, chkdsk /r. PC rebooted, but again put me to the screen with safe mode options, so I started in safe mode and it did take about an hour for it to fully load, but whether it was effective with me being unable to boot normally...???

I appreciate your suggestions, if you have any more, love to hear them.