Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Processor Upgrade - need advice about compatibility

• Please log in to reply

charlez

charlez

• Pip
  • 2 posts
good day mates...

ive been planning to upgrade my other laptop
from Celeron M 350 1.3Ghz/1mb L2 Cache/300FSB - s479

to Celeron M 420 1.6Ghz/1mb L2 cache/533FSB -s479

is that possible? if ever is there a huge notice in speed improvement in that upgrade?

my Memory: 768Mb DDR400

Also a question is it possible to use a s478 in my s479?

and can i upgrade my laptop to a Centrino Core Duo T2600 2.16Ghz/2Mb l2 Cache/667FSB - s479
is there anything to consider in upgrading it to a Core 2 Duo despite of same socket.??

need your help guys.. thanks!

BTW, is it possible to use DESKTOP Socket 479 processors to my laptop??

thanks..

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A Socket 479 board actually only uses 478 pins. To all intents and purposes its virtually identical to a 478 board, but can't use the processors as its basically wired up differently. You can fit a Socket 479 processor into a 478 board if you really wanted to but it wouldn't work anyway.

The processor upgrade should be possible, though you should research the processor support list just to be sure especially with that front side bus speed which looks like it'll use technology that the laptop may not support anyway.

Re: Centrino, if it won't talk to a 533FSB processor, its guaranteed not to talk to a Core Duo. This would require a new mainboard and memory, the cost of the mainboard on its own means it would be far cheaper just to buy a new laptop.

charlez

charlez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
my OLD PROCESSORS FSB is 400Mhz FSB not 300FSB

anwyay, what u think?
will it work in my laptop??
cant find any info regarding my motherboard..

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You've told us nothing whatsoever about the laptop save for the processor speed and the memory so all I can say is if your FSB on the processor is 400Mhz (and the memory is also 400Mhz or 333Mhz) then you've no chance of using a processor with a 533FSB without buying a new board, which as stated previously, is probably more than its worth.