Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad XP user Profile

• Please log in to reply

k_barta

k_barta

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello,
A few days ago my wife told me that her desktop was not working, so I restarted the PC and it was fine. Now just about everyday I have to do the same thing to get her desktop running. My desktop and the one for my kids works fine but hers doesn't. It runs fine after a restart for awhile then it just stops working to the point that if you click an icon you get either nothing or an error msg stating that the link couldn't be found. It even happens when you right click on the desktop. I tried system restore to a date earlier in the week and one last week but that doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi k_barta.

Here are the instructions for creating a new Windows User Account.

To create a new user account:
  • Go to Control Panel.
  • Click User Accounts tool.
  • Select the Create A New Account link.
  • Give the account a name and click Next.
NOTE: Ensure that the account type is Computer Administrator (You can see the option button displayed in the process.)
  • Click Create Account button.
  • Reboot the computer. Log in with the new user account. This will create the user folder under Docs & Settings.
  • Reboot the computer and log in with an administrative user account that is neither the new or the old. This could be Your account or you could use the default Administrator account. To use the Administrator account, press Ctrl+Alt+Del at the Welcome Screen to open the classic log-in shell. Type in Administrator as the user and enter its password.
  • As a back-up, copy the the entire user folder for the old user account under Documents and Settings to the desktop.
  • Right-click My Computer and select Properties.
  • Select the Advanced tab.
  • Click the Settings button in the User Profiles section.
  • Select the user account that was corrupted.
  • Click the Copy To button.
  • Click the Browse button and then browse to Documents and Settings, and select the new account's folder.
If you do this part wrong and copy the profile from the new account to the old account, you will delete all the settings and everything out of the My Documents folder for the old account.

Manually copying profile: http://support.micro....com/kb/811151/

Please post the results!

k_barta

k_barta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Alright, I have completed all of your instructions and things seem to be running normally. Any clue why that one profile might have gone bad? Or was it just one of those things that happens once in a blue moon? As usual, geekstogo saved me a lot of head to wall banging.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I haven't figured out yet what causes the corruption. I'm glad to help!

k_barta

k_barta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, my wife's new profile is acting the same way again. She also said that my desktop wasn't working earlier today as well. I have done all the malware/spyware/virus scans I have access to and haven't come up with anything, so I ran HJT and this is what I got in the log file.

Attached Files

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Sorry for the delay. HijackThis logs may only be dealt with in the Malware forum.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting the "all-clear" from the malware expert, please return to this thread.