Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Heat Issue

• Please log in to reply

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
The Topic Description pretty much says it all, but here are the specifics. I recently purchased a Thermaltake XP-120 heatpipe. I used a standard 120mm fan on it and I am using Arctic Silver thermal gel. Machine specs are below so I don't need to tell you that. Anyway, my computer was running about 49-52C at all times before. It mihgt jump to 55-57C when under heavy load. Well, being one that likes to have things running as cool as possible, I decided to upgrade the stock heatsink and go with a higher quality heatpipe. By suggestion of several people and by the user reviews, I decided on the Thermaltake XP-120. I had a 120mm case fan so I figured I would just use it on as the CPU Fan. It runs about about 1700-1800 RPMs, but it being a lower pressure fan, it only moves about 60-70CFM of air. Now that all of that is installed, the computer is now reunning hotter than before. The first start-up it ran at about 56C and started rising slowly topping out at about 67C which is too hot for my taste, so I decided to flip the fan over and see if that made a difference. It did, but no that much of a difference. It now idles at about 51C and will still hit 60C when under a little stress. This, of course, concerns me. Any ideas as to the potential problem. Oh, for those that are thinking airflow. I have a 250mm fan on the side of the case blowing air out of the case and a 120mm front fan for intake as well as the 120mm fan on the PS. So there is air flowing in the case fairly well. The only thing I can think of is getting a better fan for the heatpipe that moves more air from it. Any other ideas? I will take any suggestions at this point. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is this what you have here..
http://www.xoxide.co...cpu-cooler.html

did you get a adapter.... the Thermaltake XP-120 is only Compatible with LGA775 with optional adapter

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Yes that is the one that I got. As far as adapter goes. It came with an adaptor for the AMD socket and had specific instructions for the P4 Socket 478 type. It fit and clipped in there just like it was suppsed to. Also, FrozenCPU shows the following in the specs.

Compatible with:
AMD Athlon64 FX 3200+ and above, Athlon64 3200+ and above
Intel Pentium-4 socket-478 3.2 GHz and above

Here is the exact product that i purchased on FrozenCPU's site.

http://www.frozencpu..._Pentium_4.html

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
that 2.93 Intel Celeron processor doesn't run hot normally...you may want to remove the heatsink and lap it to get it smooth and FLAT ...also look in your bios and see what your temps are showing there...if your using speedfan ..it sometimes gives wierd readings ...
go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
OK, will do when I get home. Just a quick comment that Everest Home is what i am using to get these temps and the bios temps are pretty much the same, I checked just to make sure that it was not a software thing or something along those lines. I will get you that screenshot when i get home though so you can see for yourself. Yesterday the temps were only about 51C at idle and jumped as high as 60-62C when under load of only browsing.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
no need for the screenshot since you already use everest and have confirmed the readings with the bios
if you don't have to much or to little thermal paste then the face of the heatsink may not be perfectly flat..
although that XP-120 got good reviews I did find one tester that found his was concave which would not allow complete contact and that would/could explain your high temps..
if you lap the heatsink be sure the object your lapping it on is really flat...

BTW 67 C is the max for your CPU...its only a 68 to 73 watt processor...stock air should handle that easily..
it also uses a 4 pin connector for fan speed control to help minimize the acoustic noise levels .
check your bios and make sure the bios is NOT limiting the fan speed..

Edited by happyrck, 20 August 2007 - 07:28 AM.

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Problem Resolved.

After double checking the BIOS and finding no solution. I decided to take it all apart and try reinstalling it from scratch. Upon doing so, I reduced the amount of thermal gel even more than the small amount I usually use. Once I got it reinstalled and clamped on there good, I started up the computer and checked the temperature on the BIOS (simply because I was too impatient to wait the couple minutes for the computer to start up). To my surprise, the temperature had dropped a good 10-15C. Now it runs at about 43C idle and probably no more than about 47C under load. I think that I am still going to get a little better fan to mount on there to move a little more air around the heatsink, just because that is the way I am, but I am happy the see the temperatures drop to around where I was expecting them to when I purchased the heatsink. Thanks for all the help.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks for letting us know... :whistling: it may help someone else with the same problem