Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need opinions for choosing a gallery system

• Please log in to reply

Radien

Radien

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
So, I'm creating a new site, and my site provider (a friend of mine) is asking me which kind of gallery and forum I would like.

I've decided on a forum (Simple Machines, unless someone out there really thinks I should use phpBB2), but I'm not sure about galleries. She said that my choices are 4images, Coppermine, or Gallery. The only gallery system I'm familiar with is Coppermine, and I don't regard it as flawless. However, I'm having a hard time finding sites where I can see the other two in action. Even if I could, I wouldn't be able to see it from an admin's perspective.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- A gallery primarily for people to join and share their photos.
- Image editing capabities are nice, but unnecessary.
- Subdirectories or "photo albums" are best, although most galleries already offer them anyway.
- A simple ratings system of some sort would be good. Preferably "thumbs up/thumbs down," or a feature which allows members to bookmark favorite photos and shows how many times a photo has been favorite'd.
- Users should be able to leave comments on photos. Even better, if comments are required for ratings, so people can see who rated what and how (to discourage anonymous "downvoting").

So, have any of you run or set up a gallery for a site before? If so, could I get your opinions on which one to choose, according to my requirements?

Thanks,
~Radien

Edited by Radien, 20 August 2007 - 05:45 AM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Many host providers have gallerys which are provided by them and can be installed via the Control Panel. It may not have ALL the features you wish, but it's a lot better then buying another one and installing it. This is the one I installed from my Control Panel and is supplied/installed via StartLogic.com's VDeck CP: Gallery. It meets some of your requirements. No pix in there yet as I am too busy working on other people's web sites.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 20 August 2007 - 11:58 AM.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
I like Gallery myself... Coppermine is fairly straight ahead to configure and Gallery a little less user friendly in setting up, but I think it is more feature rich and configurable.

I am using it HERE

Radien

Radien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks... so, thus far, that's two votes of confidence for Gallery, right? :whistling:

Oh, I sorta assumed that everything she mentioned was freeware. Perhaps I should have looked more closely, just to make sure.

Any more thoughts/recommendations?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Gallery is exactly what comes free as one of the apps in my control panel and was installed via the same CP. I just need to get off my butt and install the upgrade for Gallery.

Have you checked to see if it is in your Control Panel? It is very easily installed if your hosting server has provided it as part of your package. Just need to find where it is in CP and click the Install link. BTW, it has a great Configuration Wizard!

Ron

Radien

Radien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Gallery is exactly what comes free as one of the apps in my control panel and was installed via the same CP. I just need to get off my butt and install the upgrade for Gallery.

Have you checked to see if it is in your Control Panel? It is very easily installed if your hosting server has provided it as part of your package. Just need to find where it is in CP and click the Install link. BTW, it has a great Configuration Wizard!

Ron

Forgive me if I'm new to the administrator thing. This is the first time I'll have attempted to run a small site instead of merely creating and uploading webpages. I know a little javascript, but I've never really handled anything serverside.

When you say control panel, do you mean a site administrator control panel? Meaning, possibly accessed via a browser, if nothing else? Right now all I've used has been FTP. My site provider is a friend who is reselling webspace as a favor to her friends, since she gets a better deal "buying in bulk" as it were. Usually when I need something, I message her directly. If she can't do what I want to do, she refers me to a more knowledgeable friend of hers, whom she has made a high-level administrator in order to handle the advanced stuff.

So anyway, all I've used to date has been FTP. She's been accessing the admin features herself. All I've done on my own was register the domain (which worked, at least).

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
You can count me in for a vote for coppermine.

http://www.eoutdoorsman.com/gallery

Easy to configure, skinnable, and all the features that Ive ever needed. Not to mention a full community out there creating mods for it.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

When you say control panel, do you mean a site administrator control panel? Meaning, possibly accessed via a browser, if nothing else? Right now all I've used has been FTP. My site provider is a friend who is reselling webspace as a favor to her friends, since she gets a better deal "buying in bulk" as it were. Usually when I need something, I message her directly. If she can't do what I want to do, she refers me to a more knowledgeable friend of hers, whom she has made a high-level administrator in order to handle the advanced stuff.

So anyway, all I've used to date has been FTP. She's been accessing the admin features herself. All I've done on my own was register the domain (which worked, at least).

Well, she didn't give you the access information to her CP, but she can install Gallery for your site if it is available. You just need to see what she has available to her. I use VDeck from StartLogic. She may use CPanel version X and it may not have Gallery.

Ron

Radien

Radien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
ScHwErV:

Okay, duly noted. Thanks.

Well, she didn't give you the access information to her CP, but she can install Gallery for your site if it is available. You just need to see what she has available to her. I use VDeck from StartLogic. She may use CPanel version X and it may not have Gallery.

Ron

Okay, I'll ask her. From what you said, it sounds likely that the galleries she has available on her CP are the ones she named off to me. :whistling:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Then there you go! lol She mentioned Gallery so ask her to install it for you and tell her where you would like it. She'll have to give you the link path to it so you can add it to your nav links.

Ron