Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank windows and no updates, etc

• Please log in to reply

LizMarr

LizMarr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:

Before I go reinstalling (repairing) the OS, I thought that I'd list the symptoms to see if anyone has had this one before. I've run virus scan, SpyBot, HijackThis, and cleaned up anything that looks like it doesn't belong and computer is running fast and apps seems fine. The owner came to me because "Yahoo messanger wasn't working and can't log on to Yahoo mail" so I investigated. Yahoo wasn't the only problem. Sorry I can't post HijackThis logs or anything as I'm writing from home not the owner's house. The problem appears to be with Active-X. No matter where I look, I can't find a simple way to reinstall it. I'm assuming that one of the trojans I removed or spyware has corrupted a key file, but without errors it's hard to replace the corrupted file.

Here's the list so far.

Internet Explorer
= Log on to Yahoo Mail and get a blank screen
= Windows Update page gives a blank screen as well
= No response to click the "Download Yahoo Messenger" button
= No response to "Yahoo Web Messenger" link either (Java pop up)
= If I click on the "About Internet Explorer" menu item, the only way to close the window is the use the "x" - the "Close" button doesn't work.
= I've updated Java
= I've tried to access the same windows using both AOL and Netscape with no luck

Windows
= "Search for files" results in a blank window with the little dog sitting there. Nothing is in the window at all (toolbars are fine) Right clicking the dog doesn't give any options. (not sure if it's supposed to - mine's turned off)
= "User Accounts" results in a blank window as well
= "System Restore" results in a blank window ;)
= I used the CMD prompt system file checker sfc /scannow with no change
= Noticed a couple other windows that the "Close" button didn't work so had to use the "x" to close the window.
= I've tried after turning off the firewall, virus scan, pop-up blockers, and unloaded everything from startup using MSCONFIG
= Nothing worked in SAFE mode either
= Nothing worked in either ADMIN account

In all my years working on computers, these syptoms are new to me. A search on the web had a page that said that Active-X wasn't working and to "fix" it either go to the Windows Update web site or use System Restore ;)

I'm planning on trying Repair from the CD next - unless someone might know a simpler cure. :)

Liz Marr

Edited by LizMarr, 13 April 2005 - 07:45 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Start > run, type
regsvr32 jscript.dll

(or download and reinstall, at:
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

If that does not work, type
start > run, type
regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll

If that does not work
Start > run, type
regsvr32 nusrmgr.cpl

LizMarr

LizMarr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Great, I'll give it a go next week. First I have to travel to the other side of the state to photograph a cattle drive. If I survive that I'll go back over to her house and try it again.

rogerfries

rogerfries

• Pip
  • 1 posts
doing the "regsvr32 jscript.dll" solved my problem Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For my future use, What did that do?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
reregistered your javascript dynamic link library with windows so windows could access the functions of the dll