Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware/Malware (?) Help

• Please log in to reply

uhoh-flush

uhoh-flush

• Pip
  • 2 posts
To begin, I am very much so a computer rube. Also, I would like to thank the software/programmer [correct name?] staff and all people who contribute/run/help this site. My hair would like to thank you seperately, as it has been obliterated and is tired of me ripping it out. And my Ctrl+Alt+Del [or as I call them, the "oh SH_ _"] buttons are panting. Thanks all. :blink:

BASICS: surfing web, e-mail, instant messanger, role-playing game, etc.
So here I am, when this message comes up, "Windows Security Alert", which thanks to my previous wonderful experience with this type of programming [hijackers get the 10th circle of [bleep], and it's called my basement. :whistling: ]

So, I click out of it. [taking extra care not to hit the "Okay" or "Cancel" button, but the little x to close.] Then another screen pops up. Well, here, my ADHD incredibly sensitive paranóa, frustration , and no BS mechanism pops in. So I do what's logical - unplug the Ethernet cable THAT MICROSECOND. Well, at least that's that - so I think. With my very, very limited computer skills, I delete the Internet History, Temp. Files, [at least I think so... :help: ] Auto-Complete, etc.

Now, I am stuck with this Spyware Alert -insert rude word here- that pops up every 5 mins. or so, and upon exiting them, they attempt to bring up a new page [just 1 page in all but one event - I had attempted to go through with Search, re-connecting to the internet, to find anything I could, but nothing was there - 10+ screens came up and spawned as fast as I could exit out.]

So, I have installed HiJackThis, and SmitFraudFix, and have their logs to post below.

SYMPTOMS:
-Alert message that opens a new IE window when exited
Image not posting... :)
-Alert message that cannot be exited out of, must use Ctrl +Alt +Del
Image not posting
-Alert message(2) that opens a new IE window when exited
Image not posting
-Occaisonally, a red circle w/ an "X" in it, appears and flashes in my Taskbar area, then vanishes after a while
Image not posting
-Slow comp., 100% CPU usage on Task Manager, double csrss.exe files [just b/c I searched the Task Manager]
No Image.

LOGS:

SmitFraudFix v2.213b

Scan done at 16:03:59.31, Mon 08/20/2007
Run from C:\Documents and Settings\aone\Desktop\SmitfraudFix
OS: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] - Windows_NT
The filesystem type is NTFS
Fix run in normal mode

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Process

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee AntiSpyware\Msssrv.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\New Boundary\PrismXL\PRISMXL.SYS
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\zHotkey.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Media Reader\shwiconem.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\NETGEAR WG311v2 Adapter\wlancfg5.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jucheck.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee AntiSpyware\MssCli.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymSCUI.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» hosts

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS

C:\WINDOWS\duocore.dll FOUND !
C:\WINDOWS\main_uninstaller.exe FOUND !
C:\WINDOWS\wmpconf.dll FOUND !
C:\WINDOWS\wmpenv.dll FOUND !

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS\system

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS\Web

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS\system32

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\Documents and Settings\aone

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\Documents and Settings\aone\Application Data

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Start Menu

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\DOCUME~1\aone\FAVORI~1

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Desktop

C:\DOCUME~1\aone\Desktop\Error Cleaner.url FOUND !
C:\DOCUME~1\aone\Desktop\Privacy Protector.url FOUND !
C:\DOCUME~1\aone\Desktop\Spyware?Malware Protection.url FOUND !

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\Program Files

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Corrupted keys

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Desktop Components

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\Components]
"Source"="About:Home"
"SubscribedURL"="About:Home"
"FriendlyName"="My Current Home Page"

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Sharedtaskscheduler
!!!Attention, following keys are not inevitably infected!!!

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri
Search SharedTaskScheduler's .dll

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» AppInit_DLLs

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
"AppInit_DLLs"=""

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Winlogon.System

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"System"=""

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Rustock

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» DNS

Description: Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport
DNS Server Search Order: 208.180.42.68
DNS Server Search Order: 208.180.42.100

HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{6B19DD5D-AD38-4868-964F-23A49B637FBB}: DhcpNameServer=208.180.42.68 208.180.42.100
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{6B19DD5D-AD38-4868-964F-23A49B637FBB}: DhcpNameServer=208.180.42.68 208.180.42.100
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS3\Services\Tcpip\..\{C4035605-3F96-4A0A-B62A-7A3300E01ADE}: DhcpNameServer=208.180.42.68 208.180.42.100
HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=208.180.42.68 208.180.42.100
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=208.180.42.68 208.180.42.100
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS3\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=208.180.42.68 208.180.42.100

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Scanning for wininet.dll infection

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» End

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 4:10:12 PM, on 8/20/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee AntiSpyware\Msssrv.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\New Boundary\PrismXL\PRISMXL.SYS
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\zHotkey.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Media Reader\shwiconem.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\NETGEAR WG311v2 Adapter\wlancfg5.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jucheck.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee AntiSpyware\MssCli.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymSCUI.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\HPZSTC12.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://softwarerefer...=...6Ojg5&lid=2
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.emachines.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.emachines.com/
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: MSVPS System - {283A0EE3-2CC1-45AB-8207-B1D7B69C7F83} - C:\WINDOWS\duocore.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: CNisExtBho Class - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.1.615.5858\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CHotkey] zHotkey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShowWnd] ShowWnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunKistEM] C:\Program Files\Digital Media Reader\shwiconem.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PrintServer Diagnostic] C:\Program Files\Print Server\PTP\PSDiagnostic.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.0\Apps\apdproxy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McRegWiz] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\McRegWiz.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [_AntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee AntiSpyware\MssCli.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /0
O4 - Global Startup: NETGEAR WG311v2 Smart Configuration.lnk = C:\Program Files\NETGEAR WG311v2 Adapter\wlancfg5.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {69EF49E5-FE46-4B92-B5FA-2193AB7A6B8A} (GameLauncher Control) - http://www.acclaim.c.../acclaim_v8.cab
O21 - SSODL: wmpenv - {9CEF6D38-7DFD-4AD7-8BFF-066DFC57897A} - C:\WINDOWS\wmpenv.dll
O21 - SSODL: wmpconf - {E30A227E-AF92-41F3-B630-326E737B4FC2} - C:\WINDOWS\wmpconf.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: ISSvc (ISSVC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: McAfee AntiSpyware Real-Time Scanner (McAfeeAntiSpyware) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee AntiSpyware\Msssrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: PrismXL - New Boundary Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\New Boundary\PrismXL\PRISMXL.SYS
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

--
End of file - 10705 bytes

THANK YOU ... I would hug you all ... but that would be creepy, so grateful foot-grovelling will have to do. :help:

Advertisements

RiP

RiP

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 8,430 posts
Hello uhoh-flush,

So I do what's logical - unplug the Ethernet cable THAT MICROSECOND

That is actually a smart thing to do, but in your case I believe it would be safe to hook your computer back up to the internet. The infections do not appear to include any malicous spam bots as of yet.

You should print out these instructions, or copy them to a NotePad file for reading while in Safe Mode, because you will not be able to connect to the Internet to read from this site.

Next, please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :
  • Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu with options should appear;
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press "Enter".
  • Choose your usual account.
Once in Safe Mode, double-click on SmitfraudFix.exe
Select option #2 - Clean by typing 2 and press "Enter" to delete infected files.

You will be prompted : "Registry cleaning - Do you want to clean the registry ?"; answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter" in order to remove the Desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection.

The tool will now check if wininet.dll is infected. You may be prompted to replace the infected file (if found); answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter".

The tool may need to restart your computer to finish the cleaning process; if it doesn't, please restart it into Normal Windows.
A text file will appear onscreen, with results from the cleaning process; please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply.
The report can also be found at the root of the system drive, usually at C:\rapport.txt

Warning : running option #2 on a non infected computer will remove your Desktop background.

uhoh-flush

uhoh-flush

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
-grovels at your feet- Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! While I doubt [or maybe we are, you could just be THAT good.] it is back to ship-shape, and also that I should really probably invest time at least, since I can get it free, into a virus protection software. [And NO THANKS, I don't want the kind from the pop-ups :help:.] That little step or so should save me alot of time in the future.

Also... :whistling: :blink: :help:

Since you are amazing, anything to recommend for speeding up the computer? [it is already SOOOOOO much faster than it was, and NO pop-ups!!!] I am seriously considerin' constructing the First Church of Rip Chain. :)

EDIT: ooops, got all caught up in the moment - the log, right right...

SmitFraudFix v2.213b

Scan done at 20:10:10.73, Mon 08/20/2007
Run from C:\Documents and Settings\aone\Desktop\SmitfraudFix
OS: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] - Windows_NT
The filesystem type is NTFS
Fix run in safe mode

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» SharedTaskScheduler Before SmitFraudFix

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Killing process

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Generic Renos Fix

GenericRenosFix by S!Ri

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Deleting infected files

C:\WINDOWS\duocore.dll Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\main_uninstaller.exe Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\wmpconf.dll Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\wmpenv.dll Deleted
C:\DOCUME~1\aone\Desktop\Error Cleaner.url Deleted
C:\DOCUME~1\aone\Desktop\Privacy Protector.url Deleted
C:\DOCUME~1\aone\Desktop\Spyware?Malware Protection.url Deleted

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» DNS

HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{6B19DD5D-AD38-4868-964F-23A49B637FBB}: DhcpNameServer=208.180.42.68 208.180.42.100
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{6B19DD5D-AD38-4868-964F-23A49B637FBB}: DhcpNameServer=208.180.42.68 208.180.42.100
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS3\Services\Tcpip\..\{C4035605-3F96-4A0A-B62A-7A3300E01ADE}: DhcpNameServer=208.180.42.68 208.180.42.100
HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=208.180.42.68 208.180.42.100
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=208.180.42.68 208.180.42.100
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS3\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=208.180.42.68 208.180.42.100

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Deleting Temp Files

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Winlogon.System

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"System"=""

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Registry Cleaning

Registry Cleaning done.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» SharedTaskScheduler After SmitFraudFix

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» End

Edited by uhoh-flush, 20 August 2007 - 07:25 PM.

RiP

RiP

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 8,430 posts
Hello uhoh-flush,

I am seriously considerin' constructing the First Church of Rip Chain.

:whistling: :blink:

EDIT: ooops, got all caught up in the moment - the log, right right...

:help: :help: :)
You had a simple SmitFraud type infection, extremely annyoing, but easy to clean. If you would post back with a HijackThis log I'll be happy to look over it again and make sure nothing else is lurkig in the shadows :)