Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Defragmenter problem

• Please log in to reply

wen9x88

wen9x88

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
i cant finish my Disk Defragmenter.
anyone here how to to fix this problem?
thx
Posted Image

Advertisements

aquarius012273

aquarius012273

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Windows' own defragmenter is unfortunately not adequate for a complete defragmentation. Over a period of use of a PC, there are some system files that notoriously become fragmented, such as the MFT, system volume information, the pagefile.sys file and so forth. The Windows Defragmenter works with all other files - which are accessible from within the OS, but not with these files - which are not. If you view the report, you'd notice that some of the system files are the ones that have multiple fragments, but the defragmenter does not work on those.

Ordinarily you cannot do anything about this. If you really wish to do it, you have to go with 3rd party defragmenters such as Diskeeper (www.diskeeper.com) or PerfectDisk (www. raxco.com). Sysinternals has a freeware called PageDefrag that you can use to schedule a defragmentation run of the pagefile at the next reboot. Jacee in another thread gave me this link for a free defragger that seems to be pretty good -
http://www.freewareg...1/jkdefrag-gui/ You can perhaps give it a try.

HTH! :whistling:

wen9x88

wen9x88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
thx for help,now i using JKDefrag V3.16

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It also doesn't help that the hard drive is full to bursting point, near enough.
Defrag can only do its job properly if there is more than 15% free, otherwise it will not be able to complete the job.

Ideally you should look into purchasing a bigger hard drive as well, because other programs will generate similiar issues due to lack of space.

aquarius012273

aquarius012273

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ah, Neil! Good one! I did not catch that earlier before you mentioned it. Of course! 700 MB free in a 40 GB root drive? Not good.
I wonder what is happening to the size of his/her pagefile... :blink:

wen9x88 would do well to invest in a bigger hard drive, perhaps an external HDD. Those are quite cheap these days. :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If I may add, video files are not fragmented as well.

aquarius012273

aquarius012273

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
You mean 'defragmented' (instead of fragmented), right? True. If one has large video files, such as avi or divx DVD-rips, sometimes they are hard to defragment. If you are into a lot of downloading as well, things can get really messy in your hard drive, slowing the overall speed. However...

[Good news, everyone!]

Sorry, couldn't resist that! Jokes apart, third party defraggers (Diskeeper, PerfectDisk, the built-in defragger with Norton 360, and so forth) will usually help defrag even the most tenacious video files. I know that PerfectDisk has a single file defrag option, and Sysinternals (now bought over by Microsoft) has a few freeware utilities that will do the same.

wen9x88

wen9x88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
i need more free defragmenter software

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You got plenty of useful suggestions in this thread for which we never got any feedback from your side. If you need more programs run a search and download what you like.

latigid

latigid

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
As much information on defrag programs as you will ever need:

http://donnedwards.o...out-part-1.html

Advertisements

Runscanner

Runscanner

Runscanner.net

• Retired Staff
  • 83 posts
You can try a "chkdsk /f" then reboot your computer.
This usually fixes the most problems to make a defrag work again.

It's also possible that some files can't be defragmented because they are locked or too big.

aquarius012273

aquarius012273

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ahhh! Runscanner!! Very good suggestion as far as XP is concerned... But the moment you go to Vista, it is a whole new ball game altogether. There is a problem with running chkdsk /f in Vista (at least in the Home Premium version), that is still unresolved... You can - if you are interested - take a look at this thread:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Check-disk-t158737.html&view=findpost&p=972020#entry972020

Runscanner

Runscanner

Runscanner.net

• Retired Staff
  • 83 posts
I've just installed Vista yesterday (Business) (only used it on a VM's before)
I think the screenshots of wen9x88 are from XP.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if your running out of free space so the defragger will not work properly..then get CCLEANER

To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you...Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Click on CCleaner to start it. Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

you will be amazed at how much crap you have on your system...write down the total amount of junk it finds and removes...

BTW defraggers won't do restore files either...

Edited by happyrck, 03 September 2007 - 07:08 AM.

phantomas

phantomas

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
hi, i've got a problem with disk defragmenter in windows xp. i tried to run it today, but i noticed that it was corrupt (see the attached image). it seems to work, but i didn't let it finish the task because i was afraid i might get errors. i ran a virus and spyware scan, but nothing was found (i use KIS 7 and spybot v1.5.2). what could be the problem ? thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• defrag.jpg