Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.exe became .ink

• Please log in to reply

krazecraze

krazecraze

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
so today, i did an adware + adwatch scan.. later.. all my .exe became .ink and i cant open them anymore.. i tried to restart the computer..did not work.. what should i do? what happened? i cant open "run" or "regedit" at all.. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
spontaneously renamed file extensions? That is odd.

Right click a "ink" file...choose properties....what do you see? I wonder if they are really INK files or are they double extension files.

If all your EXE files became INK files, your computer would simply not run, so that seams a stretch.

When you say restarted, and it did not work, did you mean the computer or it did not fix it?

Can you start programs from your start menu or by directly accessing files in Explorer

Open MY COMPUTER, then click the folder with the UP arrow, then click VIEW > details....what does that show you about your files?

krazecraze

krazecraze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Posted Image
Posted Image

i can not open programs from start menu except for IE and my folders..

no program worked.. restarting the computer did not fix it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
those are not ink files, those are LNK files...shortcuts or links.

Go here:

http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm

Download and run

LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix (Restores Default Shortcut Behavior)

Then visit the malware forum in my link...you are likely still infected with something

krazecraze

krazecraze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
cant open the .reg file though?