Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

apps + data from XP to vista

• Please log in to reply

jayman81

jayman81

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi dudes and dudettes!

Old motherboad fried up :whistling: , but luckily the HD is still alive. Can somebody give help/advice about how to tranfer data from old XP to Vista laptop? I can hook up the old HD to a another computer and (i guess...) link them through ADSL link that I have with 4 sockets.

My real concern is that as the old HD contains ALL that was in the old computer and if if now put it to another for the transfer does this create some sw contradiction as there would be two OS for ex. Would it be advisable to boot from the "old" HD for the tranfer time being? ...and does the XP need some sort of app to undertand what's going on when Vista starts to suck up stuff?
Tried to look MS own website, but all this was not really clarified...

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Data (such as pictures, email, documents, etc) can be easily transferred. Just drag it across.
Programs cannot be transferred. The files can be copied but they will not work. If you want those on the new machine you need to either download them from the Internet again or run the CDs for them again.