Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP did not start successfully - no options work

• Please log in to reply

COMTN0216

COMTN0216

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Please help!
My Toshiba Satellite M55 was shut down improperly and now when I turn it on I get the Windows did not start successfully message with all of the options: Safe Mode, last configuration, normal mentioned; however, none of these options work, it just reboots back to this message screen. A blue screen with more details pops up for about a split second after the windows screen but it is too fast to read before it goes back to this error message screen. How do I get this blue screen to stay up long enough to read the error message?

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If you go into the BIOS there is a setting that you can disable that says reboot on error. Something very similar to that, every BIOS is different.

COMTN0216

COMTN0216

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Call me silly, but have no idea what BIOS is and how you get there from this error screen :whistling:

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
My apologies. When you first turn on your computer, there should be something that says Hit Esc or F2 or Del to enter Setup. Hit that, when the BIOS loads you will be able to go through the options. There you should find system options to disable that option.

COMTN0216

COMTN0216

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank-you.
Got to the PhoenixBIOS set up but did not find any options to disable the reboot on error. Did find something that says Quiet Boot: Disabled - diagnostics enabled and Summary Screen is display. However, still not able to stop the see the blue error screen, it just zips right on by but now after the windows screen I see a PhoenixBIOS screen that shows details about my PC such as the RAM, SRAM, CACHE, etc.

Could get to the root of my problem if I could see that blue error screen, you got me this far, any more suggestions?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Usually blue screens will come from hardware changes, have you changed anything recently that you can think of?

COMTN0216

COMTN0216

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Found it! Restarted computer, kept hitting keys and F8 finally brought up the blue error screen, whew, now on to the real problem. :blink:

Errors says: Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

How do I get to a screen where I can disable, unistall and run the CHKDSK /F. All I can get to is the F2 Setup, F8 windows advance options menu. No where to type in the run chkdsk.. :whistling:

COMTN0216

COMTN0216

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
On my last good start up before today, received a pop up saying that my PC found a new piece of Hardware, I think something about an external USB drive; however, there was nothing installed on connected so I hit cancel. I added some files to an external USB drive several weeks ago but it was inserted, files downloaded, and removed.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Using F8 to get you into the advanced options can you boot into safe mode?

Do you have your windows install disk?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to repair the problem by using Recovery Console. For this you will need xp installation CD. If you don't have the CD try to borrow one.

To get to Recovery Console insert the disk into the cd drive and reboot the computer. Setup Windows screen will show up. If it doesn't, enter BIOS and set the cd drive to be first priority boot device.

Let Setup run until three setup options are shown. Choose Recovery Console by pressing R. When asked for XP installation type 1 (assuming you have only one operating system installed). When asked for password type your password or press Enter if you don't have a passwoed. A black DOS-like screen will show up.

At the prompt type chkdsk /r and press Enter. Let the process run to the end.

Advertisements

COMTN0216

COMTN0216

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
All I have is the Toshiba Recovery and Applications / Drivers Media disk that came with the PC. Windows XP wasl already installed on the PC when I bought it. The text on the case of this disck says that it will allow you to completely recover or selectively re-install software, just follow the directions on the screen. I installed it and it says:
Welcome to the Toshiba recovery utility.
This process will restore the original default system install on your hard drive. Note that the current contents of your hard drive will be erased and replaced by the default system install. You should back up your system before continuing.

Scared to go any further, don't see an option to be selective!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not familiar with this computer but I guess (and I invite everyone with a better knowledge to correct me) that selective recovery is only possible if you have a bootable to XP computer. Then you insert the CD and choose selective recovery. If the computer is not bootable then I guess that you have to perform full recovery.

Have you got your data backed up?

COMTN0216

COMTN0216

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
No back up done. Is there a way to back up at this point since I cannot even get the operating system up without using a third party company who want to charge me a lot of money? :whistling:

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I believe that you can borrow a XP cd just to use the recovery console. Is there a way to get your hands on a XP CD?

COMTN0216

COMTN0216

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
My toshiba was loaded from the factory with windows XP Home Edition; however, I have an Office XP and a Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition. Will either of these work? :whistling: