Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting LPT1 and remapping to a network printer

• Please log in to reply

unclebyron

unclebyron

• Pip
  • 9 posts
We want certain users to run a batch file that will delete the LPT1 port that connects to a local printer and remap it to a network printer. Ordinary users do not have the access rights to delete the port. Is there any way around this short of making them an administrator?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
why are you needing to remove the LPT port to map the network printer?

unclebyron

unclebyron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Because the application we use is propriatory and only prints to LPT1. In addition, the users have special needs and need to print to the printer on the network for the application. Not their local printer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
gotcha! well there are a couple of options that i can think of

i h ave a program called cpau (google it...it's great) that will let you create "jobs" that can run other programs as the administrator from within the current profile without having to give the user's administrative privelages or the admin password....you could use this to execute your current batch file

i also use scriptlogic's desktop authority on my domain to manage log on scripts, map drives, map printers, and a whole slew of other things on my domain....it has the ability to capture LPT1 when mapping a network printer and requires no user interaction....it's not the cheapest software package but it's deffinitely accurately priced for what it can do...but if you're not on a decently sized network (i'd say 60+ domain users) then it's probably over kill

unclebyron

unclebyron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I just downloaded it and will try it out...........Thanks...........