Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FTP shortcuts in windows explorer

• Please log in to reply

mxdz

mxdz

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok, I have a quick questionl, I got a FTP adress to a hardrive at my college wich I can have for my personnal use, I don't want to be typing thos long adress all the time i need to get there nor do i want the internet version (when you create a shortcut on your desktop for a FTP adress, it appears as an internet page with file names etc)

You can type the FTP adress in your windows explorer browser (let's say, for you to get a clear idea, for example, I can open "my documents" erase the adress ( wich is "my documents" or C:/ etc etc) and put my ftp adress there , to get it like it was a file or a hard drive
I want to have a shortcut like that, I mean just cliking on the icon and getting the folder view , not the internet page one , I tried as hard as I could, but couldnt figure out how to.

Simple question, if someone can jsut tell me how to specify the shortcut so it opens automatically in folder view, It would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Max.

PS: ive been the clearest as i could, if you do not really understand what i meant I can provide screenshots or a powerpoint of what im trying to do but currently failing at.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
What I would do is go into Start -> My Network Places

On the left side, click add network place. Put in the ftp address, name it what you want and click Finish. Then you can leave it in Network Places or you can drag it onto your desktop with a shortcut.

mxdz

mxdz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Right after posting this I kept on trying and .... it worked , I can change the icons , copy this thing to my desktop or whatever , it's like a harddrive but 12 miles away from home :whistling: it works perfectly well , I say this goes in the tutorial section lol.

Thanks man.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Your welcome, glad it worked out :whistling: