Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to have 2 computers on broadband at the same time

• Please log in to reply

rustyagain

rustyagain

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Network consists of three computers, one a desk computer the other two being laptops. All use XP2 and all 3 have a wireless connection (supposedly) to a wireless Belkin router.
Which ever computer connects first to the router works fine with no problems but when a second or third computer tries to connect it is unable and reports it can not get an IP address and that there is limited connectivity and signal (even though its only 12 inches away from the router). On shutting down the first computer’s broadband connection then either one of the other two computers is able to connect.
Any help gladly accepted as its starting to drive me mad

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Can you log into the router and verify the dhcp settings.

Also what if you give both the machines static IP addresses, can they both connect?

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks for quick reply
Have checked the DHCP which gives Computer 1 a IP Address of 192.168.2.2
Computer 2 a IP Address of 192.168.2.3
No address for computer3

On the computers I am getting at Computer 1 IP Address of 169.254.132.178
Computer 2 IP Address of 192.168.2.3

How do I go about giving “static address’s

Rgds in hope

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
The computer with 169.254.132.178 is not communicating with the router. Windows will give itself a 169.254.X.X address when it cannot communicate with a DHCP server. I would reboot that computer, and make sure the cables are plugged in securely. After the reboot go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections

Right click on Local Area Connection and click Repair.

After that see if you can connect to the internet, if not post the IP address again here.

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Did a reboot and the computer came back on broadband with out any need for repair and also with the correct IP Address as per the router
The problem seems to start when I try to start the 2nd & 3rd computers which are the unable to connect and through up stupid IP Address’s

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
With the first computer started and connected, start up the second computer, take a look at the IP address and post it back here.

Thanks.

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
“Sods B----y Law” - All three computers up online and working on broadband
IP Address’s 192.168.2.2 / 192.168.2.3 / 192.168.2.41
The routers DHCP client list has the first two IP’s but not the third.
First time in a week had more than one on line at a time !!!!!

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Im glad it all worked out for you :whistling:

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi jaxisland, thanks for your help but please ignore my last
Computers lasted 5 MINUTES on line then 2 got disconnected
With one computer connected on line I watched the software on one of the others which was saying every 5 seconds “You are connected” and the “getting authorization to connect”
The thing I can not understand is that each of the computers on there own is OK, ie the security and IP works fine - but try a second and third and no luck.
Do you think a “static address” would be any better.
Also why are only 2 computers showing up in the Router DHCP client list, even though the third on works fine (on its own)
Beginning to wonder if it’s a a hardware fault on the router
Rgds rusty
rgd

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Lets go ahead and set them up with static IP's.

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Right click on Local Area Connection
click Properties
In the center box scroll down to TCP/IP
click Properties
Change the first radio button from automatic to Use this IP
For the IP address use 192.168.2.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: put the IP of your router here

Do the same for all 3 computers, just making sure they are different IPs so 192.168.2.2, 192.168.2.3, 192.168.2.4

See if they stay online ok.

Advertisements

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks for your last ref the static IP’s, - will return in 5 minutes after firing up the other 2 computers
rgds

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi, back again – sorry for delay but this computer wouldn’t connect.
Tried putting static IP address’s on all 3 computers and rebooted them. 2 have come on line but the third wont. However the “Ralink” software on the third computer is saying that it is transmitting and receiving information from the router and also a windows msg on the task bar is saying it is connected.
I am wondering if the problem is in the router or the router connecting to my ISP
Rgds
PS – this computer immediately connected to the outside world once one of the other computers was shut down. It seems as if 3 computers overload the connection from the router to the outside world.

More rgds and bafflement

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
What kind of router do you have?

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Router is a Belkin F5D7630-4A and is about 2 and a half years old so may be built-in- obsolescence or old age is catching up. Another possibility is my ISP which is BT, a ISP which has a reputation of dropping the connection every time the wind changes or the sun comes out.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If you had a router you could borrow, to swap would be a good test for that. I have to leave for the weekend, Im sorry I couldnt resolve this completely before the weekend. Hopefully someone can help but if not I will check later on.