Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to have 2 computers on broadband at the same time

• Please log in to reply

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks for all your help over the last couple of days. I will stick with the static IP’s but I am fairly certain its not a computer or even Windows (surprise) problem. I have just sent email to Belkin to see what they say
Have a good weekend
Rgds rusty

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Anything new to report, Im back now.

Thanks

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi – Hope you had a good weekend
Connection is slightly better with 2 computers but still throws a wobble when 1 computer is working fine but the other gives up and requires a reboot of the modem. The software on the non-connected computer still indicates a good strong signal between the computer and modem but wont connect with the outside world.
Had an email back from Belkin which suggested static IP’s (all ready done) and shutting off the firewalls. Not to keen on shutting down the firewalls . 1 computer has zone alarm the other uses the Windows XP.
The longer this goes on the more I think it’s a modem fault or my ISP
Rgd rusty

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Very good weekend, thank you.

Temporarily disabling the firewalls wouldnt be a bad idea but just for a very short time, just to try and troubleshoot. Have you called your ISP and asked for a new modem?

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I might try the disable firewalls once I get 2 computers up and running (is the modem fire wall sufficient protection ?). At the moment I am only managing 1 at a time and having to reboot the modem when ever I change from on computer to the other. I will try another email to Belkin and see what they suggest – don’t like spending money unless I have to and I can not identify if it’s the modem or ISP as the computers always say they are connected to the modem

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I would disable the firewalls for a minute just to see if it makes a difference, but I wouldnt leave it that way. Also Windows Firewall is not the best option for protection.

Hurricane Andrew

Hurricane Andrew

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi! Try to check the router configuration / setup if how many IPs are allowed to connect. I am not familiar with the Belkin router. On my router (CNET and LinkSys) I have an option there for starting and ending IPs which would determine how many IPs can connect to the router.

If for example your router's IP is 192.168.1.1, and you have the option to configure or setup like what i mentioned above, set the beginning IP to .2 and the ending .3 --- that's giving you 3 IPs allowed to connect to the router.