Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office 2003 Problems

• Please log in to reply

ccarver99

ccarver99

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I’m having some issues with Microsoft Office 2003. A few months back, I had to send my laptop off to have the system board replaced, and ever since I got my computer back, Office has not been working normally (as well as a few other programs that I hardly ever use, so they don’t matter). When I try to start Word, or any of the Office programs, it takes about 45 mins for the program to load. However, once said program finally loads, everything works just fine – all the buttons work, and said program will save documents, spread sheets, etc…

I have tried several things to fix this problem, even going so far as to uninstall Office. However, this does not work.

If I try to uninstall Office (either through the control panel or by inserting the Office CD), it encounters a problem with the Office Source Engine, followed by an error getting file security. When I looked up the help files for the Office Source Engine (which is not on my computer), I was told that I need to run the setup again, except this time reinstall. Now when I go back and try to reinstall Office (again, either through the control panel or the CD), the setup fails because it cannot access the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync. Well, I don’t know what activesync is, and since it is not on my computer, I tried to download and install it, hoping this would fix the reinstallation problem. However, when I download the activesync setup file, say to my desktop, and then try to run the setup, it says it cannot find the activesync setup file (the one that I can see sitting on my desktop).

So:
1) What is the problem here? Is this an Office problem or a problem with ActiveSync?
2) Is there a specific location the ActiveSync setup file needs to be located?
3) Since I cannot uninstall or reinstall Office, might I just have to go buy Office 2007 and install it, or would Office 2007 not install because of the same problems I am having with Office 2003?

Thanks for the help,
Chris

Advertisements