Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost My Laptop, RegCleaner?

• Please log in to reply

ProEd

ProEd

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
In a nutshell; uninstalled Norton AV, installed ESET's NOD32, ran CleanUp & registry cleaners (RegSeeker & RegCleaner) to completely clean up "background" Norton files. Everything seemed to be OK until I ran RegCleaner and rebooted (I have run RegSeeker many times without problems). This is the first time I have run RegCleaner. When I rebooted I was greeted with the following.

- 1st screen shows the DELL logo with options for Setup (F2) and Boot Menu (F12).
- Next I see a DOS screen (white letters on black screen) stating that "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: Windows\system32\config\SYSTEM." The message tells me to start up with my "Setup CD-ROM." and select 'r' at the 1st screen to start repair.

Windows was preinstalled on this DELL Inspiron 6000 when I received it (company laptop). Won't know if I have a CD until I return to work next week. Is there anything I can do to resolve this problem in the meantime without the CD (assuming DELL sent me one)?

I have run G2G recommended software on numerous occasions over the last few years. This is the 1st time I have had an issue and I will assume that RegCleaner is the problem since I have not run it before.

BTW.... I have completed the same steps above with the DELL tower computer I am typing this message on EXCEPT RegCleaner. Have not and will not run RegCleaner on this computer.

Any help will be sincerely appreciated :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter. (If F8 shows boot devices, use F5 instead).

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Keith.... Thank you for your quick response. I followed your directions but did not get past the 1st step, as follows.

- Restarted pressing F8.
- At the Windows Advance Options Menu, selected Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
- Next screen told me to select operating system to start. The only option here is MS Windows XP Professional. Selecting this option led to the same error message in my 1st post. No success.

Should I select another option at the Windows Advanced Options Menu? Following is a complete listing, which I'm sure you already know but I'll repeat for my sake.

1. Safe Mode
2. Safe Mode with Networking
3. Safe Mode with Command Prompt

4. Enable boot logging
5. Enable VGA mode
6. Last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
7. Directory services restore mode (Windows domain controllers only)
8. Debugging mode
9. Disable automatic restart on system failure

10. Start Windows normally
11. Reboot
12. Return to operating system choices

My installation of NOD32 occurred on 8/19, everything OK with NAV disabled. The problem occurred on either 8/21 or 8/22, can't recall exactly, when I uninstalled NAV and ran RegClean & RegSeeker.

Look forward to your reply and thanks again for your help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Without an XP CD, the only two are system restore or last known good as they would use files already on the PC

With an XP CD you can choose beween:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Or a repair install

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Keith.... A few questions/comments re: your recommendations. As of this writing, I will not know if I have an XP CD until Monday.

- Your entry re: "Without an XP CD"; I tried system restore, did not work, so that option appears to be a 3k (inning over). As for "last known good" haw does this differ from restore? If I attempt this option what are the ramifications?

- Your entry re: "With an XP CD"; I have read the 1st option using the MS KB/307545 instructions. In the Summary MS posts a "Warning Do not use the procedure in this article if your computer has an OEM installed operating system". MY XP was preinstalled by Dell. As for the 2nd option by Admin, does the same Warning apply?

Most likely my next choice would be "last known good" if I can avoid starting from ground zero w/o serious ramifications.

Happy trails.... ProEd

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The Last Known Good Configuration feature is a recovery option that you can use to start your computer by using the most recent settings that worked. The Last Known Good Configuration feature restores registry information and driver settings that were in effect the last time the computer started successfully.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

You can use a repair install

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
All is now well. I do have the XP CD (I did not need the Product Key but it is printed on a label on the back of my DELL laptop). Followed Admin's procedure at your link for XP Repair Install Guide. Other than having to download all the lost MS updates, all else was same as before.

Again.... sincere thanks for your assistance :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Keith.... Referring to my 1st post on this topic; do you have any thought(s) on whether my initial problem might have been related to RegCleaner, uninstalling NAV, or other? I have not had a problem w/ RegSeeker in the past 2 or so years. As for the former, I followed their recommendations to the letter (perhaps I made a mistake with their recommended options?). As for the 2nd, well, I've read disturbing posts @ G2G and elsewhere when trying to uninstall Symantec products.

Any advice/wisdom you can share will be appreciated.

BTW.... I introduced a tech savvy friend today to G2G (mostly hardware/software). He was most interested in G2G after hearing my description of the numerous issues you have solved for me and for my other friends. Hopefully he will contact you.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
From post 1

Everything seemed to be OK until I ran RegCleaner and rebooted

This is the first time I have run RegCleaner. When I rebooted I was greeted with the following.

I would say Reg Cleaner, there have been problems removing NAV but running the clean tool usually clears that, and I haven't heard of the clean tool causing the error